Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unicorns!  (Read 2238 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorns!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 01:30:55 pm »

Poor, poor you. Since ranged hunting doesn't work, good luck killing them before you have iron weapons and trained soldiers :). Thats only my experience though, since they slaughtered my fort the first time my wagon spawned near them. Watch out.
Actually, ranged hunting does work - it's getting it to work consistently and without micromanagement that's a huge pain. Military crossbowdwarves don't work, but hunters do use their crossbows - just take 2 precautions after setting up all their equipment (they need quivers, you must assign their ammunition first):

1) Never bin your ammo. Dwarves don't know how to assign binned ammo.
2) Regularly 'refresh' your hunters by putting them in their own squad (do NOT give them a barracks to train at) and give them a Move order if they get stuck.

All that's before factoring in how dangerous hunting inherently is. So your best bet is waiting until you have some steel axedwarves or laying out a bunch of traps everywhere. How about weapon traps instead of cage traps? Animals don't wear metal armour so weak materials (glass, wood) still have a chance to deal damage.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorns!
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 04:47:00 pm »

Is it possible to make a disease with positive effects?

I think you could consider numbing a positive effect. I don't know what it does otherwise, but it prevents creatures from feeling pain, which could be useful. I had a dwarf that was ripped up all over the place and didn't even feel it because they were completely numb, thus they didn't pass out. They also survived luckily, but that's besides the point.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2]