Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrels  (Read 729 times)

Zaztrik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Barrels
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:32:25 am »

Been lurking for a long time, first post here.
I've been wondering about something for a long time, but haven't found any answers on the wiki.

Barrels.

Is there anyway to dump their contents out (perhaps into a specially prepared room) and keep the empty barrel?
Everyone keeps on trading me barrels of animal blood, and it would be nice to make a moat of blood if possible.
Also, spreading gnomeblight around my fortress could be a nice precaution.

Also related note, do uncaged goblins get sick or infected?
Thinking of putting a bunch of goblins in a pit full of animal blood and corpses.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrels
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:06:04 pm »

I'm afraid that is currently impossible. The only actual liquids in the game at this time are magma and water. Nothing else actually behaves as a liquid.

No idea about the goblin illnesses though. If you try it out, be sure to let us know how it goes.

Zaztrik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 12:11:11 pm »

What about a way to empty the barrels?  Get all the blood out and cover a floor with "pool of horse blood" or whatever.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:23:14 pm »

Only one way to do it that i know of.  A custom reaction that consumes the contents.  You may need to include a solid object in the reaction like a generic stone.  All liquid reactions are a bit buggy (i.e. booze cooking).
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:24:01 pm »

Magma might also work.  Not sure if a magma safe barrel will boil it's contents if submerged in magma.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:44:45 pm »

I know from the arena in the first release of .31 that blood coverings on creatures could boil away (magma man slaughtered hundreds, covered in blood, and then clouds of dark-red were floating around him. "Boiling blood" or something like that.)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 01:04:01 pm »

Stocks menu. If you have a bookkeeper with a high enough detail, you should be able to see the blood under the "extracts" screen I think. Designate the blood to be dumped. That should work (it works with seeds - they dump the seed but keep the bag). I suspect that it would create blood pools where the barrels are, though. You might want to move them into place first.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 01:06:11 pm »

Can't you just make a stockpile for what's in the barrel and set the number of stockpile barrels to zero?   A 1x1 would be sufficient if so, asthe blood would be "spilled" and not exactly stored. I have to admit I haven't tried this exact combination, but I think it used to work for prepared meals in 40d.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 01:26:36 pm »

Add the [EDIBLE_COOKED] tag to [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD_TEMPLATE] in material_template_default.txt and have your cook prepare some blood roasts.  Even if the resulting roasts end up to be worthless due to the cooking of liquids bug, you'll at least free up the barrels.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 02:24:54 pm »

You can dump sand from sand bags and the dwarves will make little piles of sand at the dump point, so I imagine you can dump liquid from barrels too.  Though as was already mentioned they might just drop the contents immediately rather than carrying an armful of blood around.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 03:29:39 pm »

Designate the contents to be dumped. Basically d-b-d mass dump over the barrel, then unmark the barrel itself. Or not, if your dump zone is in a place near where the barrels are needed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!