Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: Corvette meets torpedo. Now with naval tactics and stuff.  (Read 14512 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Corvette meets torpedo. Now with naval tactics and stuff.
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2010, 07:50:28 pm »

(thread changing direction again)

The problem is that, if you want to launch a satelite using a railgun, you're facing some serious inertial forces trying to crush the packet. There might be no squishable humans inside, but anything getting accelerated from 0 to 7km/s over a short distance(lenght of rails) needs to be really sturdy to survive. I wouldn't exactly expect Hubble telescope to be in working shape after such a launch.

That could be solved by making the rails very, very long. I think we know what to do with the LHC complex once the VLHC is built! And eletromagnetic forces can be sheilded against, so that isn't an issue. Although, I personaly think we should go with a space elevator. Ah, the joys of carbon nanotubes, strongest substance ever.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2010, 07:54:32 pm »

It's also that they may actually be way cheaper then cruse missiles in the long run.
But, well they don't work right now so...
The question of the combat techniques shift is relevant : light hight power canon could forbid large ship.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2010, 07:58:31 pm »

Although, I personaly think we should go with a space elevator. Ah, the joys of carbon nanotubes, strongest substance ever.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2010, 08:01:13 pm »

It's true that a ribbon of nanotubes is strong against some forces and not others. Has anyone seen a feasibility study of a design for a cable instead of a ribbon?

Again, though, it would be such a tempting target for terrible people.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2010, 08:05:28 pm »

Ah yes, the obligitory xkcd strip. Not that that would work in reality.

It's true that a ribbon of nanotubes is strong against some forces and not others. Has anyone seen a feasibility study of a design for a cable instead of a ribbon?

Again, though, it would be such a tempting target for terrible people.

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2010/04/28/48517/nanotube-cable-has-20000-cores.htm Bingo.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 27, 2010, 08:10:17 pm »

To return to railguns, remember when the technology becomes practical it won't be a one-shot barrel. And as such would be cheaper and much more stealthy and much more specific(In the sense that there isn't much collateral damage) than missiles. And impossible to intercept. And depending on how easily a supersonic slug is to detect one could launch it over other countries and no-missile zones without much political backfire. Granted it would need to be a small nation. And relatively close to water...

But still, it does being the same promise as the space race: good spinoff technology. I imagine gravlev trains would become either more efficient or cheaper through this.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 27, 2010, 08:21:40 pm »

Maglev trains, you mean?

Also, if what I saw on wikipedia is right and railguns can shoot at Mach 10, then I imagine the air resistance might cause a slug to melt. That would suck. For them.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 27, 2010, 08:23:22 pm »

I don't know about impossible to intercept. Missiles already go pretty fast, and I've heard antimissile defenses described as trying to shoot a bullet at a bullet (even with the guidance systems, otherwise there would be zero chance).
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 27, 2010, 08:25:15 pm »

I don't know about impossible to intercept. Missiles already go pretty fast, and I've heard antimissile defenses described as trying to shoot a bullet at a bullet (even with the guidance systems, otherwise there would be zero chance).

Yes, but missiles are complex and propeled by an onbord device. Smart missiles even have computers on them. Railgun projectiles would be nothing but a chunk of metal.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 27, 2010, 09:04:17 pm »

Besides, the awesome.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 27, 2010, 09:36:47 pm »

Maglev trains, you mean?
I goddam mean antigravity trains.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 27, 2010, 10:48:12 pm »

Maglev trains, you mean?
I goddam mean antigravity trains.
antigravity trains or trackless floating car-bullets?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Corvette meets torpedo, or: Koreas hate each other, again.
« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2010, 01:39:20 am »

Not specifically no, but for nerddom's sake, yeah you're kind wrong.  Sailing ships were not replaced by steamships until well after the American Civil War - there was a long transition period where ships had steam-paddles for maneuvering and sails for travel, but even that was after Napoleon's time.  Ships didn't have turrets then either, because they just couldn't build heavy turret mechanisms that you could put in a ship like that, along with the crowded deck problem.

Well, I know squat about steamships, so thank you for the explanation. Nice to hear that I didn't bork it up about the turrets though.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]