Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do forgotten beasts drown? Ever?  (Read 2790 times)

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do forgotten beasts drown? Ever?
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:17:20 pm »

I sealed off a one-eyed giant spider Forgotten Beast (poisonous bite, not webs, oh well), and decided to give drowning it a try.  Getting the water into the sealed area went much better than the last time I tried a drowning room... but the spider is just sitting there in 7/7 water, with a ceiling overhead, and not seeming to mind.  I went off doing more exploratory mining, I made it down to the Magma Sea (which is only 9 levels below the spider-trap), dug several test holes to look into the sea to check for a possible magma pipe (doesn't seem likely, but finding out seems worth the effort).  All the while, he's still in there, breathing water through his spiracles without a care.

Do they drown?  Or is this just another aspect of invertebrate immortality on 31.04?   I was thinking magma at first, but now I'm thinking maybe I'll herd him into my pit-trap.  It will means sealing the trap off entirely, instead of leaving the access stairway I have now to clean out survivors and periodic cleaning.

Or I could make a little arena with the Bronze Colossus and the spider, see if they'll fight after all.  Yes, it's still that game, post save-scumming, and I've got a fairly heavily damaged caged Colossus sitting in inventory.

- Gus

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
Re: Do forgotten beasts drown? Ever?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:36:17 pm »

Pour magma on it. Let it fulfill its life's goal of impersonating Han Solo. Then make a ☼forgotten beast short sword☼.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:24:29 am »

Is there a wall over top him?  Unless he has the NOBREATH or AMBHIBIOUS tags, he'll drown if he is in 7/7 water with a roof overtop.  Without the roof, he'll just sit there swimming.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:02:49 pm »

"7/7 water, with a ceiling overhead" kind of indicates there is indeed a ceiling.

Maybe this FB is nobreath or amphibious; are all of them?  In particular, are the humanoids?

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:13:53 pm »

I am 90% sure that they are immune to drowning traps, and possibly magma. Both at once on the other hand...
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:20:27 pm »

Obsidiantm: when magma just won't cut it.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (