Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF2010 Framerate Issues: Gray Goo?  (Read 1331 times)

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
DF2010 Framerate Issues: Gray Goo?
« on: June 03, 2010, 03:16:08 pm »

The framerate in my fort has gone to hell and I can't figure out why. Not only has the activity rate gone glacial, but every minute or so the game becomes altogether unresponsive for a few seconds (like what happens when a large section of cavern collapses or you look at the stones section of the stocks screen). The recent happenings in my fort are:

* Mined out a nice, large room for tree farming, made it nice and muddy, then realized that trees wouldn't grow with all the rocks laying around and sent my dwarves in to dump them into a quantum pile. All of the activity changed the mud into sand; the gray goo has been steadily spreading throughout the fort.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

* Set up an outer defensive perimeter of cage traps and hunting dogs in glass enclosures. I haven't been attacked since, even though goblins have been invading from the moment I built a trade depot.

* Dug long tunnels and fortification windows at the ends in order to map out the underground caverns without actually entering them.

* Began mass producing steel -- six dedicated magma furnaces with mid-level operators directly underneath two magnetite/coal deposits.

* Began producing soap, but promptly forbid all of it to keep my dogs from spamming job cancellations.

* Locked the hospital doors. I have a dwarf who insists on resting even though she healed long ago, plus everyone kept sleeping there and then complained about not having a room.

* There are half a dozen forgotten beasts wandering around underground and zero entry points into my fort. This has been the case for some time but didn't cause any FPS issues, unless there's something special about the last one to show up (a ravening, hairy snail with wings and a poisonous sting; right now it's chilling at the bottom of a lake).

* There are no drastic flows going on. The canal from the surface stream which I used to flood the room is floodgated shut and is slowly draining into the downstream end. The magma pool which I pumped to power my furnaces is less than 54x25 and fluctuates between depths 5 and 6 across the surface. The one flow which might be problematic is my water source / cleaning pool. It was originally going to be the power plant, but due to a long series of issues I stripped it down to a single waterwheel and pump. The system continually circulates the water to keep it clean, but the waterwheel and pump are only intermittently functional. I have no other water pipes or machines running, and my small system of magma-pipes is stagnant at depth 7.

* The population was in the 80s when the problem began, brought up to 103 by a recent immigration wave. All domestic animals except dogs and pets are kept caged.

* The adamantine veins have not been touched.

I really don't want to abandon this fort -- it's one of the best sites I've ever found, even without the new underground stuff. For once I actually have a real metal industry.

My best guess is that the tree farm is responsible. The problem seemed to start right after I drained the room and ordered the stones to be dumped, and the nasty gray sand began spreading like kudzu. If that's the case I'm hoping that I can clean it up by reflooding the room and smoothing / paving the other areas that have been infested.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:46:47 pm by Eidako »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: DF2010 Framerate Issues: Gray Goo?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:02:56 pm »

Look up DFhack as it has a tool to clean up all contaminants in the map but mud. It might help with the gray gloop.
Another posibility is a hidden ambush madly trying to path to your fort, or petsplosion.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:31:04 am »

I believe it's the mass dumping designation.

Try undesignating it.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 12:52:41 pm »

The periodic slowdown eventually went away on its own, but the framerate's still bad. Cleaning up the sand didn't make any difference (thank you for pointing out DFHack though), and the dumping designations are off. I noticed I was a version behind, and upgrading to .04 improved things a bit. I sent a squad to wander around outside but didn't encounter any goblins. Maybe it's the forgotten beasts trying to path into the fort. I'm scared about opening the underground up though; I have masterwork steel gear, but my military is nonexistent.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:53:03 pm »

The periodic slowdown eventually went away on its own, but the framerate's still bad. Cleaning up the sand didn't make any difference (thank you for pointing out DFHack though), and the dumping designations are off. I noticed I was a version behind, and upgrading to .04 improved things a bit. I sent a squad to wander around outside but didn't encounter any goblins. Maybe it's the forgotten beasts trying to path into the fort. I'm scared about opening the underground up though; I have masterwork steel gear, but my military is nonexistent.
You have masterwork steel gear, are getting routine waves of 20+ immigrants, and you're scared of Forgotten Beasts?

Don't be. My current army refuses to train, is in basic Iron armor, and is mostly unarmed. A Forgotten beast attacked, and managed to severely maim one guy before it died.

Make the next wave into a couple squads, put them in steel gear, and send them off to the caverns with Kill orders. You'll be fine.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 12:48:06 am »

I second the mass designation idea. Each designated item constantly looks for an idle dwarf, so they eat up CPU very fast. If you have a bunch of designated trees to be cut, items to be dumped, bushes to be foraged, walls/floors to be engraved, then every one takes up more CPU.

I'd recommend either doing it in smaller batches, or mass designating and leaving your computer on overnight (if you fort can sustain itself) Smaller batches while playing and mass designations when your sleeping/away would be the best way to go though.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 02:49:29 am »

I have to admit, when I read the thread title I thought you were suggesting that out-of-control, self-replicating nanotechnology was consuming your fort: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_goo

EDIT: Just occurred to me that it may have been an intentional reference, in which case I'm glad I'm not the only one nerdy enough to know about gray goo.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 02:52:21 am by Absentia »

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 12:20:02 pm »

suposedly this can help with frame rate, have not tested it yet
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51957.0

on a side note try pitting or chaining all your pets to a single tile
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 04:15:57 pm »

it may have been an intentional reference.
T'was.

I've found that, while forgotten beasts are trap-immune, a narrow corridor of @Menacing Steel Spike@s + Pull Lever/R still works wonders (later on I'll put in an automatic repeater). If they manage to get through, my freshly raised army of a single steel-clad swordsdwarf can handle them without any problems. It looks like everything running around down there has a functioning cardiovascular system, so carbonite is not needed. I just have to wait for all of the spikes to be connected to the lever (about halfway done right now).

It probably would be easier to just recruit everyone with military skills and send them in, but it's a quirk of mine that I like to keep everybody, even the haulers and worthless nobles, safe from harm. My 40d megaproject had fewer than a dozen deaths in its 17 years.

Incidentally, I haven't seen any goblins in a long time. They were constantly causing mayhem early on, but now I have civilians wandering around outside and caravans arriving without any incidents. Just a few wild camels, the occasional giant eagle, and an absurd number of giant winged snails downstairs.

I'll give DF Accelerator a try later on.

Non-bump edit: DF Accelerator is broken as of .04. The game won't even load if you use it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 01:29:15 pm by Eidako »