Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is giving up the only answer to some beasts / titans?  (Read 2843 times)

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is giving up the only answer to some beasts / titans?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 12:44:55 am »

I don't see how the cave-in solution can work.  The miners can't get close enough because they're, as you said, interrupted by bronze colossus.  I've done many cave-ins now to seal up aquifers, but I just can't see how this can work for titans / beasts, since you can't get close enough to dig.

- Gus

since cave-ins punch through floors, simply dig so there is a natural floor above the beast you need to kill, then make the cave in 1 level above that. the miners can safely dig without interruption now, and the cave-in goes right through
Hanging support linked to lever. Much more reliable.
Code: [Select]
Level 1
#######
#######
#######
#++X++D
#######
#######
#######

Level 2
#######
#.....#
#.+++-D
#.+S+=D
#.+++.#
#.....#
#######

Level 3
##+++##
##.=.##
##+++##
##+T+##
##+++##
##+++##
##+++##
# is wall
+ is floor
= is bridge
- is a retracted bridge (3 tiles long, after cave-in extend it, rebuild support, retract bridge, rebuild floor tiles)
S hanging support
X tile above hanging support that supports support (still normal floor tile)
. open space
T Unkillable guy
D Door/ access

Though the constructed floor tiles deconstruct, they still punch through stuff, and more importantly, kill stuff. I've (unintentionally) tested it.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 10:54:34 am »

Make an "anvil" for your hammer to hit and it won't punch through. At 0 make sure it isn't "floor", but the tops of walls instead. It'd be best to make a large entrance corridor for your "deathhammer"
Bonus: It works versus ANYTHING.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 01:16:54 pm »

I've been fortunate to kill nearly every unkillable forgotten beast I've received with enough time and swords/axes.  A lucky shot to the head and you're done.  The problem is if your armor and skill in using the armor is low, or if the creature doesn't happen to have a head to lose.  If the game crashes that is not so good, but I always try to kill them via traditional methods. 

I only had to use the magma/water solution once, on a beast trapped between trees and a wall.  It paced around constantly emitting smoke.  The frame rate plummeted and it had to be encased!
igless

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 03:08:06 pm »

I just recently followed the advice here and experimented with crushing a Forgotten Beast with a cave-in.  This wasn't an emergency situation, which is the real thrust of my original post.  I contained it in a roach motel (retracting bridges over ramps at both ends), so I could have left it there forever, unlike the more serious situation where the Beast has managed to enter the fort proper.

Smashing through floors worked like a charm.  The biggest drawback is that dwarf response time to a "pull lever" request is erratic, even when the lever is in a populous area, so the roach motel was a moderately long corridor, twisted on itself, to give me a margin of error.  That in turn meant the cave-in area had to be fairly large.

- Gus

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 03:26:37 pm »

I've been fortunate to kill nearly every unkillable forgotten beast I've received with enough time and swords/axes.  A lucky shot to the head and you're done.

Upper/lower bodies can also be removed for an instant kill.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 04:54:05 pm »

Pit the colossi against the scorpion. FOR SCIENCE.

Edit: No, I don't know how you'd get another unkillable crystal scorpion, in case you'd ask. Just use another unkillable FB.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:58:43 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 05:08:43 pm »

Are titans / beasts mutually hostile?  I know they'll fight goblins and batmen, but since I've had multiple Forgotten Beasts at the same time in the same cavern, I've assumed they were neutral to each other.

- Gus

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 07:23:20 pm »

I had a forgotten beast made of coke that killed 5 current resident giants. I had two miners die making a cave in killing the FB and a giant. The FB had his hands and trunk ripped off and everything else was wounded red but he wouldnt go down before the cave in.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 11:09:06 pm »

Constructed walls/floors are just as deadly during cave-ins as natural walls. They do deconstruct, but they kill first.

Demons seem to avoid collapsed constructions entirely, so I'd say you are incorrect in your assertion that collapsing constructions are just as deadly.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 01:39:40 am »

Behold the mighty Titan Swatter.  I've successfully used this against multiple surface megabeasts, so it definitely works.  It's also mostly reusable as long as it's got natural floor--just rebuild the now-collapsed floor and support, and link it up again.
Pages: 1 [2]