Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Google Maps  (Read 429 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Google Maps
« on: May 30, 2010, 01:06:36 pm »

Man, I really don't want to sign up for yet another account just to post on the Google Maps forum. So hopefully you guys have a fix for me.

A while back Google Maps became a LOT less responsive. A command takes several seconds to show any visual result, including just scrolling the map. And when it does respond, the map is nothing but pixels that gradually resolve into blocks of pixels, more blocks of pixels, and then finally the map itself. Everything relating to Google Maps is super slow now, even the popup locations and such.

Does anyone else have this problem? I use IE, but I really don't want to install more cruft on my machine just to make Google Maps work as well as it did a year ago. And besides, if someone else uses IE and doesn't experience this, or uses Chrome and does, then it's less likely to be a browser issue.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Google Maps
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 01:08:27 pm »

Have the same issue on Firefox.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 01:16:47 pm »

I've been having that too, also Firefox.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 01:34:20 pm »

I don't see a notable issue in any browser for GMaps. The resolution issue is getting more image data from the Google servers, I think (I haven't taken it apart to really look). Could just be tubes being full.

I've started to use Bing for maps instead of Google; I like their interface a bit more, and everyone uses the same NAVTEQ, DigitalGlobe, etc. maps anyway. About the same responsiveness there.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235