Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quantities based on skill level  (Read 524 times)

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quantities based on skill level
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:32:10 pm »

I apologize if this has already been suggested before, but I think skill level should have more influence on determining quantities of items resulting from jobs.  As far as I know, only Grower and Herbalism directly influences the number of items obtained, but it should also apply for things like threshing, milling, brewing, butchery, wood burning and possibly even milking.

I find it weird that so much of the current food industry's output in terms of quantity is unaffected by skill levels and makes some jobs such as milling sweet pods into sugar a task more suited to catering to certain dwarves' likes than about efficiency.  After all, why bother making them into sugar at a 1:1 ratio when you can make them into syrup at a 5:1 ratio?  The amount of sugar or syrup you get should instead be determined by the dwarf's milling and threshing skills respectively.  A master butcher should be able to preserve more usable meat and bones from a given animal than a dabbler.  Experienced wood burners ought to be able to get more than one bar of ash or charcoal out of an entire tree's worth of wood, especially now that soap is usable and putting even more strain on an already strained wood and fuel supply.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quantities based on skill level
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:38 pm »

Yes and no. Skill should influence the result upward toward a pre-defined maximum bound but not beyond it. No amount of non-magical skill can violate thermodynamics.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quantities based on skill level
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 06:55:31 am »

This isn't suited for everything. A bad milker is just a lot slower and plants don't magically yield more sugar if you grind them just right. A lot of labors would benefit from this though.

The results should suffer heavily from diminishing returns or/and the XP gain needs to be tweaked to make sure that training butchers and woodburners doesn't take decades before their output becomes decent.