Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom material weirdness. 'frozen slime artifact'?  (Read 1562 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Custom material weirdness. 'frozen slime artifact'?
« on: May 19, 2010, 12:30:42 pm »

My latest attempt at a mod included a number of custom materials, and a number of other mod I use do so as well. With my latest fortress I found out that they need some adjusting due to them showing up some awfully weird places.

Weirdest weirdness: This lovely artifact

Frozen slime? Elves? What the hell. I didnt get a better look at the artifact as it evaporated right away.
Its main ingredient was some mountain goat bones, and its decorative items were some gems and cloth. Nothing that should produce this...
This material was in fact part of a mod (The moody dwarf got nauseus and vomited all over, which was what that material does. He was still estatic.) But Im not sure whether its the modded part that made it show up. I think it may have showed up because this material is the very first in the inorganic material list (the raw file is at the alphabetical top of the list, and the material entry is the first in its file)

Is this a problem with my modding or is it some weird bug?

Next was a number of traders showing up with a material I use to kill dwarves. The traders exploded and burned to death in seconds, some animals and slaves MELTED out of their cages and casualy walked to my meeting zone. Dont use the extract template for those things. The same probably goes for milk, blood, etc templates.

These materials also turned up in the stockpile menus.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom material weirdness. 'frozen slime artifact'?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:02:41 pm »

That's awesome, good work.  :P
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:07:30 pm »

I love how it evaporates, yet the creator doesn't even flinch.
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 08:59:52 pm »

Wait a minute how did you get a non iron figurine, there's a bug that turns bone/shell figurines into iron ones at present. Maybe you should upload the save folder to dffd, as there might some clue as to why this bug happens in the your mod.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:44:24 pm »

This sort of sounds like the weirdness that occurs from duplicate raws.  Do you use a text editor that automatically creates backups?  DF reads everything in the raws folder as though it was a txt, and identifies files it should use by the first word in the filename.  So, for example, inorganic_stone_minerals.bak would still be read, at which point it starts trying to create things it has already created, and causes interesting things to happen.  Check your errorlog; if its duplicate raws, there should be errors to that effect.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:54:25 am »

Wait a minute how did you get a non iron figurine, there's a bug that turns bone/shell figurines into iron ones at present. Maybe you should upload the save folder to dffd, as there might some clue as to why this bug happens in the your mod.
Aha, so that realy is what it is. Iron the first material the unmodded game reads when processing the raws, while in my modded game its 'frozen slime' material.

Its definetely not a duplicate raw though, errorlog is clean and no other materials act up.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 07:37:27 am »

Thats the bug.  Right now it looks for the first inorganic material, so if you wanted to avoid your frozen slime material, just move something like platinum to the top.