Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there an Asbestos mod for .31  (Read 1135 times)

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there an Asbestos mod for .31
« on: August 25, 2010, 04:16:21 am »

It just seems natural to me that Dwarves being the suicidal, magma loving psycopaths that they are would be all over the stuff. Its fairly common and cheap,  resists heat, and most importantly provides valuable work experience for strand extractors.  The fact that it has a syndrome effect on Humans that may or may not affect Dwarves would only serve as an incentive to use it in creative traps in most Dwarven fortresses.  So I was wondering If there was a 31.12 compatable mod out there that met the following requirements.

1) added in Asbestos
2) Added in a reaction to extract asbestos strands that skills up strand extraction
3) Allowed the strands to be woven into cloth

the following would be nice but aren't necessary
4) Extreme heat resistance from wearing asbestos clothing
5) Syndrome effects that Dwarves are immune to
6) Syndrome effects that Dwarves Aren't Immune to

Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Is there an Asbestos mod for .31
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 04:19:29 am »

There was a concept a bit like this some time ago, regarding Fire Imp leather as anti-magma suits.

The leather survived. The dwarves... didn't.

Basically, since I'm not sure how the new heat-transference works, your dwarves would probably still broil to death, slowly and hilariously.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 04:21:03 am »

Hence why actual heat resistance was labeled "nice but unnecessary"
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:22:33 am »

Yeah, as far as I know no one's thought to actually add asbestos into the game. You might try asking Deon or Mephansteras, but it's a long shot.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:42:28 am »

Actually I thought about that. It should be easy to make a serpentine mineral which you use to extract asbestos. I just need to make proper material first.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:25:16 pm »

I thought asbestos was just that dust you breathe in, and then sue the place you got it?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

claer_runway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:47:22 pm »

I thought asbestos was just that dust you breathe in, and then sue the place you got it?
they used to use it to insulate homes. didn't work out.
You can't program common sense.

like Skies of Arcadia?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clearrunway

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 03:34:06 pm »

It actually was quite effective, and was used for thousands of years for heatproofing   however once medical science advanced enough to be able to conclusively link it to illness  and miners got better lawyers  it began to be phased out.