Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine Clothing  (Read 8019 times)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adamantine Clothing
« on: May 19, 2010, 02:12:23 pm »

Aside from value, is it a good idea to bother making adamantine clothes?  It's hard enough to do the strand extraction, and I noticed that the one bit of metal cloth I made had a fabulous value.  But I wondered if it was worth the effort to make an shirt, for example, to wear under breastplate, so that the arms are protected.
igless

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Adamantine Clothing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:16:15 pm »

In previous versions, it was observed that adamantine clothes would wear out just like those made from silk or plant fiber cloth. I don't know if it's been established that the same thing happens in the current version - perhaps you could find out for us?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:27:14 pm »

It'd take a long time to start with a new piece of clothing and wear it out! I am pretty sure that is the case, but I was more concerned about protection. 

I can do that, but if anyone else had tried, I would like to know!  In battle reports I can see that "ravenous bugblatter struck Urist, but his cave spider loin cloth deflected the blow!" Generally its a cheap beastie that this happens with.  wolves seem to be pretty good at tearing through clothing, for example--I got a named wolf who was poaching kids at one point, and their clothes did little to protect them.
igless

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 02:59:03 pm »

It'd take a long time to start with a new piece of clothing and wear it out! I am pretty sure that is the case, but I was more concerned about protection. 

I can do that, but if anyone else had tried, I would like to know!  In battle reports I can see that "ravenous bugblatter struck Urist, but his cave spider loin cloth deflected the blow!" Generally its a cheap beastie that this happens with.  wolves seem to be pretty good at tearing through clothing, for example--I got a named wolf who was poaching kids at one point, and their clothes did little to protect them.
don't forget that attacks can go through clothes without nessesarily damaging the armor in the new versions. (the dwarf hits the elf in the wooden breastplate, bruising the fat!)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 03:58:38 pm »

If my understanding of DF2010 material science is correct, then Adamantine clothes should offer excellent protection against piercing and cutting damage, but won't help the crushing nature of attacks. That's what my intuition tells me anyway, but best to try this in the arena to be sure before you commit in-game.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 04:09:21 pm »

I'm unsure about clothing decay. You may want to put in a reaction to let you recycle or make new adamantine threads to offset the decay issue.

But it should provide outstanding protection. Adamantine plate on top of adamantine clothes? The dwarf ought to be nearly invincible. Even civilians wearing adamantine clothes should be able to bounce off goblin iron with little problem.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 05:42:12 pm »

This is actually a very practical question. Since the only armor that protects the throat (and ears, and possibly eyes as well) is a cloak, and cloaks can only be made from leather and cloth those spots are usually very weakly protected leaving even the best armored dwarf vulnerable.

If adamantine cloth is as protective as adamantine armor, then it might be worth producing some adamantine cloaks for your military, even if they do rot eventually (and they might not, as military equipment is not owned so it might work differently) since it's the only way to get worthwhile armor for those areas.

Unfortunately, adamantine clothes cannot be assigned to creatures in the testing arena. I've not yet managed to test it in an actual game yet either. I suspect they will be quite protective though.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 06:16:55 pm »

It'll be easy enough to get into a fortress game, but testing it in a controlled environment would be a lot more difficult. Just make some custom reactions to give free adamantine thread and start making clothes.

To test it out you could try having soldiers dressed in adamantine clothes go out and wrestle goblins. With wrestling they won't kill any goblins which means there is a long period of time where they will be attacked.

You can test some soldiers with adamantine clothes only and others with adamantine clothes plus armor on top of the clothes.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 06:20:14 pm »

I have this urge to draw one badass dwarf in full adamantine plate with a cloak now. Lets see if I can get gimp working like I want it.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 07:06:30 pm »

I just hope the dungeon master doesn't bogart all the adamantine cloaks.  If so, he'll find an adamantine spike with his name on it.
igless