Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Colonist Space Mod[IN DEVELOPEMENT]  (Read 756 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Colonist Space Mod[IN DEVELOPEMENT]
« on: May 18, 2010, 05:52:06 pm »

Basically, it's going to be a mod that sets you as, I envision the only one of you race(If I can mod it in so that the initial colonists, etc. get killed off after world-gen.) As that would make it realistic in the sense your the first colonists. No trade, no liasons, on your own, ya know. My problem is that, well, copy-pasting.

From the bug tracker:
Ok, here's my problem-Now, it might just be me, but whenever I gen a world DF eventually crashes. Now, with the new version I'm guessing it auto-ends around 1,000 years, as that's what I gathered from other posts. So it crashes around 100-300 years. I can just stop it at like 20 or something, but I still think this is fairly urgent-ish?

Any ideas, guys? I can't really test the mod to see if the initial colonists die out so you can play w/o liasons, caravans, etc. This is my first mod, so I'll try my best to not beg for advice, but it may be needed from time to time.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colonist Space Mod[IN DEVELOPEMENT]
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »

Alright then, 2 questions.
1. How do you modify the ammo ranged weapons use?
2. How do you modify the damage of weapons?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:39:05 pm »

1) In [RANGED:SKILL:AMMO] , the AMMO is the type of ammo the weapon uses.

2) What kind of damage? Cutting damage is affected by the material (density, max edge, material shear values) and weapon stats (max velocity, size, contact edge and penetration values). Blunt damage is affected mostly by material density, velocity and size of the weapon.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 06:39:36 pm »

Alright then, 2 questions.
1. How do you modify the ammo ranged weapons use?
2. How do you modify the damage of weapons?

1) You can add types of ammo in the item_ammo.txt raw ranged weapons then have them available by default if given the correct tag.
Then add the tags to the weapon you want to use.
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW]
[NAME:crossbow:crossbows]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT]

BOLT is the type of ammo and corresponds to whatever the ammo is defined as in the ammo raw.

2) Damage is based on things like mass, penetration, area of effect, temperature, etc of a weapon. So it can be tricky to change to get the desired effect. But you edit the weapon stats in item_weapon.txt in the raw/object folder, same as the ranged weapons above.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 06:41:07 pm »

I am pretty sure that the damage is NOT based on temperature.

Also I forgot to say that "damage" is mostly affected by RELATIVE values of the weapon and the body it damages, not absolute values.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 06:45:57 pm »

Depends what you class as a weapon, eg dragon breath, those fire ball things or a modded futuristic laser crossbow would deal heat damage.

But yeah currently no dwarf wielded weapon does heat damage. 

Edit: That is of course dependent on the material it's made from, a sword of magma would most certainly do heat damage, or crossbow that fired lumps of magma.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 08:04:17 pm »

I mean how do you edit the base damage of a weapon, I don't want a crossbow doing the same damage as a sniper, even if the crossbow were adamantine and the sniper was tin.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:30:18 am »

Give the sniper rifle a ridiculous projectile velocity, problem solved :D
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!