Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3D Nintendo DS announced  (Read 1389 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
3D Nintendo DS announced
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:50:02 pm »

This looks fun.

Looks worthwile and something I'd buy if I had money.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Nintendo DS announced
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:43:57 pm »

It looks interesting, but I can't imagine that having full-on 3d would be very useful unless you're in a space game. Otherwise, normal (for games) 3d works just as well depth-perception wise.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:01:47 pm »

It looks interesting, but I can't imagine that having full-on 3d would be very useful unless you're in a space game. Otherwise, normal (for games) 3d works just as well depth-perception wise.

Doesn't matter because 3D is cool! I'm glad they are doing the "doesn't need glasses" way of 3D. Needing glasses hurts my eyes and would suck to carry around. I assume it's using head tracking like this

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:21:32 pm »

Damnit, how many DS's does Nintendo expect me to buy? And why does the screen keep shrinking?* :[

Of course, I will have to buy it anyway.

Edit : Whoops, misread that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:23:28 pm by kinseti »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:37:07 pm »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 09:45:04 pm »

I have still not bought a DS.  Of any kind.  I'm waiting for the 3D DS SP, probably.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 09:50:55 pm »

*Evil*
Augh!!! Take it away!!!

Damnit, how many DS's does Nintendo expect me to buy?
I really dislike this. Nintendo is basically saying "to play some new games you need this 100$ system. It's like the system you already paid us for , but very slightly better."
I still have the original DS, not even the DS lite.

Doesn't matter because 3D is cool! I'm glad they are doing the "doesn't need glasses" way of 3D. Needing glasses hurts my eyes and would suck to carry around. I assume it's using head tracking like this
I believe it's a special lens on the screen that splits the pixels, causing them to focus into a 3D image at a certain distance from the DS. So it will only work if held just right. Headtracking requires some sort of device mounted on your head.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 09:57:10 pm »

I really dislike this. Nintendo is basically saying "to play some new games you need this 100$ system. It's like the system you already paid us for , but very slightly better."

I have a DSi, but only because my old DS broke.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 10:04:04 pm »

Eh, headtracking was the rumor I heard. Not absurd, I think, but likely to have flaws. We wondered if the DS touch screen was a gimmick, then we wondered if the Wii's motion control was a gimmick. This time I'm not really wondering...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 10:11:08 pm »

Head tracking can be done via camera now. Software is startlingly good at identifying faces now. I can imagine how they could modify the screen depending on which way you are facing and possibly looking.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 10:12:19 pm »

I still have one of the original DS's, but only because GameStop forgot they had a half dozen left and put them up for sale around Yuletide.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 10:53:22 pm »

Yeah, I only bought one, A DS lite that got a nice price reduction when DSI's came out, If I recall correctly. It just bugs me too.

We wondered if the DS touch screen was a gimmick, then we wondered if the Wii's motion control was a gimmick. This time I'm not really wondering...

Wait, because they were, or because they weren't? I mean, I think they were, but successful ones, at least sometimes. Waggle controls be damned, some games did a good job.

And yeah, tech is advanced enough to do 3D using headtracking without any apparatus on your head. Do it cheaply and well? Honestly not sure.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:55:14 pm by kinseti »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 10:57:25 pm »

That brings up the question of if it sucks can we turn it off and still play the games?

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 11:11:21 pm »

I would really like a portable mame device. I know there are some out there but they are quite pricey.
igless