Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Status of .31.04  (Read 1569 times)

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Status of .31.04
« on: May 17, 2010, 05:02:24 pm »

Hey all.
I've been waiting anxiously for the latest Mac version to be released, and lo and behold, thanks to Toady's legendary dedication and skill, it's here.
However, I haven't played since the last stable mac version was out, like last summer. I'm wondering if I should jump in again at this point... or is the latest version buggy as to be unplayable? I'd rather wait for a less buggy release before I dive in again.

My (3) question(s):
How does it compare to last summer's Mac version (playability-wise), and what are the main problems in this release/how does it feel in-game?  I only care about Dwarf Mode at this time!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Status of .31.04
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 06:59:09 pm »

The game is mostly redone on the meta-game level. More dwarf psychology, new features. Lots to learn. Completely revamped, and sometimes unexpected, material-to-armor/weapon relations (ie. wrestling is useless versus steel armor). Military is revamped and buggy. MANY new underground features, including the occassional Purple Feathered Ass Monster

It is very playable, but the military is the main difficulty as the deadliness of the surrounding world has gone way up. Military is difficult to set up and prone to bugs, and as such traps and protection are more important than ever. Feels very much the same, but deeper.

Go for it. Expect to lose your first fort. Beware of anything armored in metal... such as goblins, who are really tough now. Seek Steel/Bronze equipment. Read up on weapon research.

EDIT: Also, marksdwarves and hunters don't really work anymore, pending more fixes. Learn to love the axe and the spear.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 07:02:42 pm by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:00:23 pm »

31.04 was not a bugfix release, so the same bugs of 31.03 are all still there.

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 07:09:27 pm »

Thank you very much Cognitive, exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for.
This time around I'm NOT gonna read any documentation, because when I did last time, I knew how to make the perfect fort before I even started ... never got to find out that losing is fun. And I want to!

And Hyndis, I realize this; I'm asking what the major bugs are in this release / 31.03.

Xelek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 07:53:21 pm »

It's not entirely true, some bugs were fixed, biggest thing I've noticed is corpses now rot away..! Hurray! But it introduced some new bugs that we might not yet know about, too, due to Toady rewriting all the screens.

For instance, you now need to press a key for the site finder to advance through the search...

Anyways, as far as the most glaring bugs go, I probably wouldn't touch anything crossbow related as far as the military is concerned, I would avoid having my expedition leader killed and I assume some types of wounds still can't be reated in the hospital.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 08:01:18 pm »

So what, pray tell, was the perfect fort?

I still have dwarfs set off their own traps and fling themselves off bridges due to some timing issues I didn't consider when pulling the lever and immediately engaging in a new task across said bridge.
igless

Xelek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:19:02 pm »

So what, pray tell, was the perfect fort?

I still have dwarfs set off their own traps and fling themselves off bridges due to some timing issues I didn't consider when pulling the lever and immediately engaging in a new task across said bridge.

Setting off your own traps shouldn't happen unless they're unconscious, something which might happen if they're flung off a bridge. Therefore, the perfect fort was one where you couldn't possibly land on a trap if you were flung off a bridge.

The other option is to completely isolate a single dwarf with a farm plot, seeds, food, couple of barrels and a bed. Add a trash compactor, a male cat and a personnal legendary dining room with some fancy furniture and a self destruct lever for good measure. What could possibly go wrong?

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 04:02:13 am »

o rly?
Crash fixes
   (*) stopped site finder from eating up a ton of memory (crashing the game on large maps)

Major bug fixes
   (*) changed day/night temperature calculations (fixes fish availability and melting in the rain)
   (*) stopped suture and dressing jobs from being repeated over and over on healed wounds

Minor changes
   (*) made all vermin and smallish outdoor corpse items disappear over time (can be hit after a month for vermin, season for corpse chunks)
   (*) changed ranges for adv mode temperature text
   (*) made temperature of squares adjacent to lava slightly lower

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:53:30 am »

o rly?
Crash fixes
   (*) stopped site finder from eating up a ton of memory (crashing the game on large maps)

Major bug fixes
   (*) changed day/night temperature calculations (fixes fish availability and melting in the rain)
   (*) stopped suture and dressing jobs from being repeated over and over on healed wounds

Minor changes
   (*) made all vermin and smallish outdoor corpse items disappear over time (can be hit after a month for vermin, season for corpse chunks)
   (*) changed ranges for adv mode temperature text
   (*) made temperature of squares adjacent to lava slightly lower

Okay, you are right, but being a tad pedantic perhaps? :P It has some bugfixes but what it's primarily turned into is the merge for the 40d# stuff.