Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can attributes still be trained with a "gym"?  (Read 630 times)

Ihmhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can attributes still be trained with a "gym"?
« on: May 18, 2010, 09:29:28 am »

In 40d I was very fond of using gyms in order to reliably and steadily increase the attributes of my dwarves.

For the uninitiated, a gym is basically a group of screw pumps that are pumped manually and attached to nothing. A dwarf would pump away for many months and slowly get stat increases.

The attributes are not longer listed in General.

According to the Dorf wiki:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Attribute

Attributes are now listed on the Thoughts and Preferences screen, but I have had some of my dorfs pumping away for many months with no noticeable stat gains. What's going on here? D:

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can attributes still be trained with a "gym"?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:39:33 am »

Known issue. Dwarves just aren't gaining attributes ever except when doing military training and even then that's only physical attributes. They also have to deal with attribute decay which hits pretty hard right now despite Toady's intentions, mostly as they never go up in the first place so you can't fight the rust.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ihmhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:41:59 am »

Aw poopsticks. So I basically just wasted an in-game year training up Legendary Pump Operators.  :-X

Oh well. Thanks a bunch.

Edit: Second question to add, can I get the latest version of DF and transition my current save file of .03 to a .04, or am I boned? If so, how do I go about doing that?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:48:54 am by Ihmhi »

Foehamster

• Bay Watcher
  • Zig Frostrushes The Speachless Eater of Saints
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 09:51:37 am »

Just have everyone as part of a militia with no uniform.  They train 2 months out of the year for some exercise.  Crossbows are cheap enough to outfit the entire fort, and you could have a fully armed citizenry.  :D

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 09:52:31 am »

Just copy the save folder (e.g. "region1/") in your data/save/ folder from .03 to .04
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.