Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anti-stockpile: Clear Area  (Read 932 times)

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anti-stockpile: Clear Area
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:04:30 pm »

Concept:

Allow the player to designate a zone (perhaps it's actually an Activity Zone, or perhaps a Stockpile) which should be clear.  Any objects on the ground in that area are moved somewhere.  If another stockpile will take the items, they'll be preferentially stored there.

Creating a building will automatically treat its area as a Clear Area.  This way dwarves will automatically move interrupting objects out of the way.

If objects don't fit into another stockpile, perhaps they're just dumped in the closest area.

I would find this feature really useful when I'm mining out sections and stones litter the area.

Extended concept ideas:

Dwarves perform necessary actions to clear the area if it becomes obstructed.  For example, growing trees are cut down, and growing plants are picked.  This could be useful for a variety of reasons, including keeping a path clear for incoming caravans.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-stockpile: Clear Area
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:06:52 pm »

I like this idea, as far as having the dwarfs move the object out of the zone. Finally, a way to get my dwarf's bedrooms clear of enormous rubble piles.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:18:45 pm »

In the future, the bug with possessed but discarded items should be fixed. Also, stone management will be worked on (realistic mining and hauling suggestions). But this zone might be a good solution until then.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 10:14:07 pm »

Designate 1*1 tile zone as a dump.
Press: d, b, d, then enter, drag, and dorfs do the rest.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 10:24:02 pm »

Inefficient. I don't need my dwarfs to carry the item all the way to the dump, I just want them to move them out of the area they are in.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 11:50:55 pm »

Inefficient. I don't need my dwarfs to carry the item all the way to the dump, I just want them to move them out of the area they are in.

So designate the dump near the area you want them taken out of. Hell, you could designate it all around the border of that area, to absolutely minimize walking.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 12:23:04 am »

This would be really useful, perhaps dwarves should do this with any items that shouldn't be in a stockpile. That way if you place down some new food stockpiles all the rocks would get moved, if you just wanted to clear an area use a custom stockpile with everything unselected in the settings.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 01:40:46 am »

So designate the dump near the area you want them taken out of. Hell, you could designate it all around the border of that area, to absolutely minimize walking.

I think many consider the whole infinite space vortex that is a dump an exploit anyways, I try to avoid using it when possible.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 02:58:23 am »

I would also prefer this solution over the time-space anomaly dump.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.