Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temperature Control  (Read 384 times)

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Temperature Control
« on: May 20, 2010, 01:48:35 am »

Hey all, long time player, not too common a poster. I've seen a LOT of improvements through the versions, but what I haven't seen so far, which can presumably be implemented in the future, is the addition of temperature control. Plasma, like fire, can be used to great effect when combined with certain materials, like ice--and would make it survivable in extreme regions provided the player can control them well. General items like a thermometer or manometer (hematite + mill -> ocher + flask Alchemist -> Mercury + Glass -> x )  could be utilised by a noble (scientist?) to understand temperature change in general--accessible through a menu.

Temperature control can factor heavily into already implemented systems, after all it already exists in-game in an almost invisible form that can be quite extreme and unmanageable depending on the environment. Actions like the cauterizing of wounds, the controlled use of alcohol bombs and inflammable substances, the melting of ice to create water (irrigation/medical use in freezing climates/desalination and collection of salt), the control of ambient temperature (fire canals/indoor heating/chimneys in freezing climates, or even ice in deserts), the creation and storage of ice through places like subterranean climates, the use of ice in medicine (swelling, inflammation) and drink/food/smoke (Iced Quarry Leaves, Gazpacho, incense), the creation of civilian squads other than police (fire fighters), etc. There are obviously a lot of ways you can go with it, and a lot of ways it can affect the current game a la complement--without becoming incredibly necessary. Extreme attention to control over temperature would simply be necessary for the more extreme biomes you cannot currently survive in. In this way, it opens up more places to explore and live in, while adding to most aspects of the game currently in use.

List of temperature related "themes":
Controlled Fire - Medical/Ambient/Defensive/Offensive
Controlled Ice - Medical/Ambient/Food/Drink/Irrigation/Salt Making
Mercury Use - Medical(-/+)/Ambient/Dye (both ocher and mercury)
Salt Use -  Medical/Food/Drink (Armokaritas)
Smoke - Mist equivalent, used through fire and plant collection/growth. Also useful in raiding ("smoking" a fortress out), etc.
Fire Fighting - Use a medium (powder, water, ditch digging, etc.) to prevent the propagation of destructive fire, or even set controlled burns for short term loss and long term benefit in agriculture/plant gathering.

Personally, this seems like a lofty bunch of goals. Something to put on the horizon. The new military arc, military organization in general, and first aid treatment need attention. There's also a large list of already established improvements that would be great. I would also advocate a much more rich and experiential marine climate. However these seemed like interesting ideas that don't easily surface through forum searches or appear on the list, so I thought I'd share. They seem like logical additions to me based on what's in the game, and I'd like to know what everyone thinks. So I guess what I'm saying is: Flames welcome.
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.