Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High bandwidth stairway?  (Read 699 times)

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
High bandwidth stairway?
« on: May 15, 2010, 10:22:21 pm »

What's the way to create the highest-bandwidth stairway with a given tile size?  For 1x1, the answer seems to be up/down stairs.  But what about 2x1?  Is the best answer one up flight per level, and one down?

What about 3x3?  I've tended to do these with a single up/down at the core, with 4 of up and 4 of down.  Does this make things more efficient or does it not matter?

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: High bandwidth stairway?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:37:49 pm »

I tend to make straight staircases, either 2x2 or 3x3 with a single engraved pillar up the center. Now and then they break into a flat, trapped area if the staircase is just being used for access and not within the fortress proper.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 11:54:04 pm »

For all, I'd say up/down stairs to reduce the steps needed. Straight lines > bendy ones.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:18:24 am »

I usually go with 2x2 up/down stairs, occasionaly 1x4 or 4x1.
But I have heard that stairs dramatically increase the pathing calculations so I in my current fort there is a project of "chainging all them stairs into ramps" running.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:57:05 pm »

I just do a 2x2 up/down staircase in the middle of the fort. Like has been said before, doing one side up and one side down just makes unneeded extra steps for the dwarves. It seems most efficient and I've never seen dwarves crawling over each other on the staircases.

People say dwarves can fall down the stairs and splat at the bottom but I've never seen that happen, not even once, and I've been using the up/down stair stack since the very first 3d version. Even when fighting on the stairs they don't fall, despite being stunned/unconscious/dodging/etc.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!