Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Casting anvils at the smelter.  (Read 2179 times)

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Casting anvils at the smelter.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 07:06:59 pm »

Both INORGANIC and METAL produce an iron anvil worth 100.  NONE produces an "anvil" worth 10.  I just tested this, specifying either one produces the same anvil, and they are listed together on the stocks screen as "iron anvil (2)".  All three of the anvils can be used to build a forge.  Personally, I'd think using METAL would be slightly quicker, since there are fewer items in the list of metals than there are inorganics (soil, stone, gem), while using INORGANIC would be a more generalized reaction.  Less to change if you want to turn 3 iron bars into a slade anvil  :P

Hmm, just realized I quoted the reagent line from steel and I've been testing PRODUCTs.  Still, it's the entry in the vanilla raws, so I'd think METAL would be an acceptable tag, since it's used for every metal bar in reaction_smelter.txt.  Anyway, use whatever works.  I'm off to milk horses and spend 3 months wrestling Hoary Marmots.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 06:03:45 pm »

Instead of hosting the reaction at the smelter, which is rather overloaded, why not build yourself an anvil cast?

Code: [Select]
[BUILDING_FURNACE:ANVIL_CASTER]
[NAME:Anvil Caster Station]
[NAME_COLOR:4:0:1]
[BUILD_LABOR:ARCHITECT]
[BUILD_KEY:NONE]
[BLOCK:1:0]
[DIM:1:1]
[TILE:0:1:229]
[COLOR:0:1:6:0:0]
[TILE:1:1:220]
[COLOR:1:1:7:0:1]
[TILE:2:1:229]
[COLOR:2:1:6:7:0]
[TILE:3:1:229]
[COLOR:3:1:0:7:0]
[BUILD_ITEM:450:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:PLASTER]

Try it out in DF or the custom workshop workshop to see what it looks like! :D

Aorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 07:18:15 pm »

I think, to cast an iron anvil you should need to do the following, 1. carve a new item "stone anvil model" at a stone carver, or perhaps a wooden anvil model even, Then gather a sack of sand,a bucket of water, and a piece of stone. these three items plus the model would be used to construct a custom furnace called a sand casting mold. then all you would need is for your dwarf to melt and pour three bars metal into the workshop (basically bring three bars to the mold) and walaa you've got an iron anvil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_casting
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:21:19 pm by Aorik »
Pages: 1 [2]