Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: caravan leaving through the caverns?  (Read 639 times)

Spider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
caravan leaving through the caverns?
« on: May 15, 2010, 03:02:50 pm »

so i get besieged right after the elven caravan arrives. and as my military was decimated after the previous siege i just pull up my bridge. now i've read on the wiki that merchants get mad after not being able to leave for a while and fear for the worst. but they just packed up and headed for my stairway down. unfortunately i got distracted and didn't see them leave the map. but they aren't on the unit list anymore so they must have left. is this normal? has anyone else seen something like this?

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: caravan leaving through the caverns?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 03:12:38 pm »

Well, caverns do go out to the edge of the map, so I guess a caravan could potentially leave out one if there's no other exit. Somebody should put a trading depot at the edge of the map in a cavern, wait for a caravan to come, and wait for them to leave.

Spider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 03:16:15 pm »

well if the goblin sieges stop long enough for another caravan to survive i pull up my bridge see if it happens again. but elves leaving through the caverns is strange at best. maybe they never get back and i get blame for them going missing.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »

They obviously went on their route to trade with the various animalmen tribes in the caverns.

Spider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 03:24:49 pm »

They obviously went on their route to trade with the various animalmen tribes in the caverns.

or to enslave them?  :P although i'd like to see how they do that without guards.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 03:32:29 pm »

so i get besieged right after the elven caravan arrives.
They obviously went on their route to trade with eat the various animalmen tribes in the caverns.

Fixed  ;)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 03:40:51 pm »

Hmmm, I remember someone reported a caravan leaving through caverns, but that might be along the lines of some bug reporting.

Wait, I think it was rather theyteleported few levels down to the caverns and, uh, leave. Or something like that.

Being a bug or not, someone should build depot in the caverns with a visible, reachable exit on the edge of the map and chech depot accessibility.

I'll see what I can do.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 03:44:06 pm »

...that's rather clever, actually.

I mean, if they can get home via the caverns, and on the surface there's a siege going on...

Huh. Smart Elves. Never thought I'd say those words in the context of DF.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:58:33 pm »

I've come to depend on this since opening the gates late in the season generally means instant death.

Back in 31.01 I had a bugged map where any and all wildlife would path for my doorstep and nowhere else...  I was catching deer faster than I could load cages, let alone make cages...  I think they may have been trying to path underground too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:00:26 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.