Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traders sell me dead animals in cages  (Read 530 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Traders sell me dead animals in cages
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:27:07 pm »

Did several searches for this and turned up nothing.

Playing Dig Dwarfier and my fortress keeps getting traders who try to sell me caged animal corpses. Only the elves have living animals, but their scheduled arrival always seems to coincide with the annual Orcs' Spring Siege Festival. Am I doomed to keep receiving dead animals, or will the game generate some living ones for me as time goes on?
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traders sell me dead animals in cages
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:40:47 pm »

I saw this in a 40d fort in a cold climate where the water was intermittently frozen even during summer.  The usual explanation was that the imports had died due to cold.  Not likely to be freezing problems in your case if the spring caravan has live ones, but I wonder if that applies to hot climates too and the summer/autumn ones have died of heat?

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:41:04 pm »

Known bug (for 40d at least).  Believed to have something to do with the caravan passing through a biome that kills them, although sometimes there were reports of strange injuries that didn't seem like heat/cold damage.  My guess is if you haven't seen a single living animal in the caravans you won't :(

Try turning off weather and temperature for a year though.  That might help. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 09:38:18 pm »

This bug always reminds me of the Monty Python "dead parrot" sketch, but with dwarfs and elfs instead.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.