Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get my one military dwarf to KILL something?  (Read 1003 times)

Moleculor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I get my one military dwarf to KILL something?
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:07:42 pm »

Right, so I've got someone assigned to a squad. He's carrying around a shield and a copper axe. I've given him a kill order.

He's twiddling his thumbs in my meeting area. He's listing the kill order as his current job, but he's not going in and doing it. This stupid lizard man has been torturing my mason for DAYS now, and the military won't go in and stop it.

Help?

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Moleculor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get my one military dwarf to KILL something?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:14:54 pm »

Yeah, did all that, still not working.

Moleculor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:35:49 pm »

Would it help if I uploaded a save somewhere?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:54:42 pm »

Is it just a lizardman, or a special enemy?
if the latter, kill orders won't work, if the former, try just simply stationing the squad next to the enemy, rather than a direct kill order.
FYI, kill orders will not work on special enemies, the dwarves simply can't comprehend pathing to them even when there is a direct route, I'm not sure whether this is exclusive to the underground ones or not, but if it is, perhaps it is exclusive to all underground creatures?

Moleculor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 11:57:30 pm »

What do you mean "special"?

So far as I can tell, it's a standard lizardman.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 11:58:54 pm »

What do you mean "special"?

So far as I can tell, it's a standard lizardman.
I mean the kind of enemy you get an announcement about, eh, you'll see eventually.
But uh, yeah, try just stationing the guy near it, he should run over.

Moleculor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 12:10:01 am »

I went ahead and uploaded a save so someone can tell me what's wrong.

No, this isn't a forgotten beast or clown.

How do I station in this version? (Gods, the military system is SO SCREWED.) I've just assigned them to be stationed at a point every month of the year, it's not changing their behaviour. (It doesn't help that I have no idea how to see what month it is, since apparently my fortress' name is too long.)

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 12:11:27 am »

(s)quad ; select squad (a) ; (m)ove to ; put cursor at location and hit enter

Moleculor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 12:18:06 am »

Ok. Did that. He left the meeting area and went down the stairs. Too bad the point I was sending him to was on the same level as the meeting area, which means he's now running away from where I told him to move to.

Actually, not running away, just holding still, a few levels below where he should be going.

... oh what the hell. You mean to tell me that it's not only possible to leave a point "open for editing" after closing the notes menu, but even if you SAVE, QUIT, and reload the game WEEKS later, the point will still be the one you're editing rather than placing a new one when you try to do so?

Ok, movement and stationing worked. He's now fighting.

However... What. The. Fuck? Y'know? I gave this guy a kill order, he ignored it, despite showing it as his current task. What's the point of a kill order then?

(EDIT Oh, and of course he kills my one dwarf fighter. Wow, the military in this version is BROKEN. Guess I'm not saving this fortress, as apparently there's supposedly a bug that once you add a dwarf to the military, they never are a civilian again, and I can't afford to lobotomize more dwarves.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 12:20:53 am by Moleculor »

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 01:10:49 am »

You're overrating the bugs - they are very manageable.

A few things.  Yes, kill orders are mostly broken.  There are a few cases when they are *definitely* broken, but in general it's best just to station.  However I have yet to be in a situation where this affects, well, anything.

There is no such bug about lobotomizing soldiers.  I have moved soldiers into or out of the military with no problems, and they went back to work as desired.

As for why your one dwarf died, was he well-equipped?  Skilled?
The materials part of the update basically guarantees that if you're charging out with little to no armor, and the enemy has some, you will lose.  It makes sense - you both have pointy sharp things, but it'll take you a while to pound through their armor, while they're chopping your fleshy bits to ... bits?

I'm assuming you're unarmored because you only have one military dwarf, which makes me think you haven't gotten metalworking happening yet.  I recommend war dogs as a preliminary military before you get your machinery running enough to create an arsenal and a full squad to use it.

That and traps, of course.  So many traps.

Leesin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 01:32:12 am »

Not everyone is going to encounter the same bugs, they could be caused by different things, I'm pretty sure I've seen quite a few people say that when they have taken dwarfs out of the military they wont do their normal job anymore once they switch them back.

Whilst there are 'workarounds' for the broken military in 2010, it would be better just to play 40d and wait for patches if the bugs get to you that much, personally I dislike things being fucked up to the point where I have to do 10 different workarounds just to have a slightly functioning military, plus I'm patient anyway and would rather wait for a less buggy 2010 version. Personal preferences I guess.