Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The biggest issues for the future of Adventure mode  (Read 5246 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: The biggest issues for the future of Adventure mode
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 07:28:20 am »

I don't think weapon degradation will be much of problem. There's always another wolf ready to be used as a club when your last one wears out.

What you need in adventure mode to make it more fun is a point. Why am I killing this dragon? Why am I attacking this hydra? Why am I exterminating this village? Actually, you're probably exterminating a village because you're searching for a point. Any additions that alleviate the lack of a point are the most important ones for me. I think as players we are mostly looking for our characters to make a difference in the world because that gives us a sense of accomplishment. At the moment the easiest (only?) way to make a difference in adventure mode is to kill things.

The quickest change that I would love to see is that all world leaders (quest givers) are made to never ever move from where you first find them. Later that can be changed so that they can move while still giving you a chance to find them again without it being aggravating. Maybe breaking all their legs at world gen as a placeholder could work.
well easy yes only not really. You need to before playing Adventure mode set up a in-game goal
to reach: Do you want your adventure to be king, (kill off/become) the power(s), bear children, bear bearmen children, start a town, cause a battle with out becoming an enemy of that civ?

Still most I said up there takes out of the vanilla (and adventure mode...) and may take up to some years in life to pull off but it's worth it to separate your adventurer from the pack that just kill things.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 08:45:52 am »

I would personally love to be able to smith a number of quality weapons and sell them at a village, a village that would at a later point attack the neighboring village using those said weapons. And after enough villages were taken over with those same weapons, I'd start dabbling in Armorsmithing and eventually start producing quality bodyarmor for the rest of the world.

Or maybe there could be random farms scattered between bigger towns, farms that would receive regular attacks from bandits or other wildlife. I would immediately smith some breastplates for those poor folks, so that food supplies from those bigger towns wouldn't run out. OR if I was feeling especially evil, I'd raid the farms myself. And people would start starving. And that would incite chaos as people would rise up to arms and start marching towards the nearest neighboring town (the one that HAS food). (I suppose it's possible the boring thing would happen and they'd just start hunting food themselves).

Hell, I just might smith a bunch of swords and drop them near a bandit camp or something. And later check what kind of chaos they have caused.

Another thing I dream about is starting a career as a chef and make piles of money with my famous meals. Word would get out and people.. well, characters, from all over the world would come to taste my worldfamous -**((Roasted warthog innards))**-. I would then make an effort to spot any particularly rich individuals, write down their names and find out where they live, and I would then proceed to raid their homes or even castles. Cuz more money.

DF Fortress Mode has many many skills that should be made available and usable in Adventurer Mode.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 02:11:21 pm »

^ At the same time, they should be recoverable rather than lost forever, and preferably immune to rusting / losing their edge. That said, I would laugh if someone eventually "recreated" Lord of the Rings in DF adventure mode.

The flying -Larch arrow- strikes the Elephant in the head!
It is bruised!
The elephant's brain has been bruised!
The flying -Alder arrow- strikes the elephant in the head!
It is mangled!
The elephant's brain has been torn!
The flying *Pine arrow* strikes the elephant in the head!
It is driven into the body, an unrecognisable mass!
The elephant's brain has been pierced!
"Mumak", Elephant has been struck down.

Urist McGimli: That only counts as one!
Well, I've made a couple of LOTR mods and with time it should be even more possible.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2]