Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone here still play the older versions?  (Read 1354 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone here still play the older versions?
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:47:33 am »

I really do love all the the new things that have been added to the game. The fact that I can actually do something for my injured dwarfs is amazing, and I still haven't adjusted to the sheer number of underground levels I have available.

But have any of you found yourself loading up one of the older versions? Do you keep your old favorite forts around, just in case?

To give an example, I've got one fortress from the 40d version that's about 22 years old (that's old, by my standards). It was my first fortress to get nobles, my first to activate the economy. I got my first siege there, my first megabeast, etc. I even got the king there, which I've never had the patience for in any other fortress. I found recently that two of the children of my founders got married. It's a multi-generational fort. I'm very fond of it. And I'm keeping it going. It may take me a month or so of on and off playing to advance a year or two, but that's ok.

So, does anyone else still like to pull out the older versions and just mess around, for whatever reason?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here still play the older versions?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:35:52 am »

Because the new version is currently so buggy, I haven't yet stopped using 40d. Besides, 40d is where I've got my own massively ancient, multigenerational fortress of 51 years.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:45:06 am »

Now and again I'll dig out the old 2D version, and giggle at the strange fluid physics.

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Loving cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:28:05 am »

None of my olde forts aren't under a 7/7 water or magma anymore... ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:31:34 am by bongotastic »
Nothing screams "Christmas" quite like a new release of DF.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:11:08 am »

I use 40d when I want a fort to be visualizer-compatible. That's about it, though. 31.03 works fine for me otherwise.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:02:13 pm »

I play 40d because i'm too lazy to figure out the new military.

I just wish the old military wasn't so good at causing spinal injuries on each other.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:12:36 pm »

40d adventures. Sure, all the new fresh crunchy underground stuff and attacks are nice, but the bugs aren't worth it.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 03:05:26 pm »

I've found the bugs in 3104 to be very mild and livable and none of them is interrupting my long-term gameplay... Currently on 7th year in 3104. I still have my 25-year glacier fort Moonsyrups in 40d, though, it's hard to throw away a fort with over a thousand working magma floodgates and 15,000 dwarfpower worth of windworks. And a spider dungeon.

However, the new underground is such an amazing source of ☼«☼Fun☼»☼ and also regular old fun. I myself don't very much enjoy digging out all the mineral nodes arranged on a 48x48 grid of solid rock in 40d to get all the minerals and then crisscross quarrying the map to get gem deposits. Since the stone layers are much more randomized and interesting in 3104, I like quarrying out of the cavern levels and using bridges\grates\stairs to get all the crazy gem deposits roosting high up in rock pillars, then smoothing everything that's left over once it's picked clean.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 03:07:22 pm »

I still have the 2d version downloaded, though I haven't played it recently.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 09:37:55 pm »

I've been on a bit of a DF hiatus for another chunk of time, but I might touch base with Wavehandle now and then, and maybe find a way to motivate myself to run a community fort with Bloodfist's flight. Oh, and how could I forget Project Carippo? I still have to finish the laboratory fort, and snag me a few of them, and see what I can do to make them even more terrifying.

After I get all that worked out, I might try to work on them and do some arena testing to squish the rest of the bugs on transfer.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:39:37 pm by Itnetlolor »

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 10:46:50 pm »

I still play a lot of 40d16, since it's the one that's most comfortable for me.  Therapist, visualizers, relatively few bugs.  It also gives me a good framerate, which is important to me and my feeble computer.  I'll wait a couple more patches, until training, hospitals and farming are up to snuff and OpenGL support is back in full swing and a lot of bugs get ironed out, before I really dive into DF2010.  I spent a lot of time with 31.03 figuring out how the military and hospital interfaces work, and I'm pretty comfortable with that, but it's a lot of work by my standards and all my attempts with that version met with disaster through problems that didn't seem to quite be my fault.  I still don't quite get burrows, either, so that's something else I'll have to teach myself.

It's all so intimidating right now, and the virtual guarantee of problems wrecking my fort despite my best efforts takes the fun out of Fun.  It took me months of practice to learn the game, and I'm not eager to go back to kindergarten until I know my learning won't be catastrophically inhibited by bugs.
I brake for stumble bumblings