Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining around magma (possible spoilers)  (Read 715 times)

steveman0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mining around magma (possible spoilers)
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:15:07 pm »

I am not all that familiar with the way the magma sea works.  I am curious about how I might extract most of the valuable minerals in the walls around the magma sea.  In particular, how I could go about extracting as much adamantine as possible so that I can avoid going too deep too soon.

I was thinking I would connect a supply of water down to flood the area around valuable minerals to turn the local magma to obsidian so that I could take all of adamantine of the top layer.  This would give me a decent supply of the metal while avoiding risking the dangers of digging too deep until I get my armor clad in their shiny new armor as well as retaining the path down to the next layer.

Will this method work for this extraction or does the magma sea function differently when it comes to obsidian puncturing?

Also I am considering expanding this to help extract other valuable metals that happen to be on the edges of magma.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Mining around magma (possible spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:31:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure Semi-Molten Rock is immune to falling rocks.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:36:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure Semi-Molten Rock is immune to falling rocks.
It is! if you mean what I think you mean, from my experience the bottom of the magma sea will simply "eat" any cave ins I throw at it, which ruined my great idea of making the magma sea into a cavern. :(

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:39:06 pm »

Did you try digging out the SMR wall?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

steveman0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:41:17 pm »

I am not concerned with semi-molten rock.  All of the SMR is far enough from the adamantine that I'm not concerned with cave-in isolation.  The goal I have in mind is simply flooding the top layer to turn it to obsidian and mine out a section (including all of the adamantine rather than just the core of the vein).

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 04:48:49 pm »

Obsidian casting should work as long as there is an adjacent wall.

Obsidian falling onto semi-molten-rock just disappears, but if you cast it somewhere that it won't fall from it should work fine.

Casting an obsidian 'shell' around the adamantine pipe is probably the best method.