Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are eBooks (and eReaders) changing the publishing market?

Yes--they're the way of the near future.
Yes--they will provide lots of interesting developments, and may phase out dead-tree books eventually.
Yes--they will provide a second market. Both eBooks and dead-tree books will remain on the market.
Yes--they'll make an impact on the industry, but dead-tree books will bounce back.
No--they're a gimmick.
No--books are dying out, anyway.
No--dead-tree books are the only true books, and everyone will agree with me!
It's too early to tell, and I'm a pansy, so I won't make any predictions.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: eBooks! eReaders! What's your opinion?  (Read 2265 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: eBooks! eReaders! What's your opinion?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 12:21:41 pm »

Heh, that throws Jon Stewart's Guide to America out of the bin... that's not really a portable book to begin with however.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 03:22:51 pm »

I think once the technology reaches the right level, eReaders will be the future of all reading. It will be hell for the paper industry and small bookstores, but it will be a positive change for the average reader. I was skeptical until I found out about their 'page turning' feature where you actually read page by page instead of scrolling, which actually makes a HUGE difference.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 03:32:13 pm »

I'd prefer scrolling myself, TBH, but e-ink does not allow that, AFAIK.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 03:43:54 pm »

I find scrolling through endless layers of text to be astoundingly difficult. After a while, my eyes just start to tire out in general, especially since the text moves all the time. Reading through the Alpha Centauri novella was the most painful experience of my life.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 2 [3]