Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d Maximum dig depth  (Read 2606 times)

unit335

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d Maximum dig depth
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:16:15 pm »

I'm playing one of Mayday's 40d versions and I notice that I can't seem to dig below about 15 z-levels below the surface. I've trolled the forum archives for answers and found some, but I still have a couple of questions!

1.) Shouldn't I be able to dig deeper in this game version? Should I have accomplished that by setting some variables during world gen?

and

2.) Am I missing cool stuff by not being able to dig deeper?

and the bonus question!

3.) Has the game generated content for BELOW the maximum depth I can achieve now? Or is that the point of having a max depth -- the program doesn't have to generate as much content with low max depth settings.

\m/

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: 40d Maximum dig depth
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:22:32 pm »

The ability to dig hundreds of z-levels down was added in the latest version, so no, you can't dig very deep in 40d. Nor, for that matter, are you guaranteed to come across a layer of magma, caverns, or other fun stuff.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

unit335

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:33:39 pm »

So...for maximum fun.....upgrade! Got it.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:42:50 pm »

Well there are some caveats... mainly that 40d is more stable - there are a few bugs in the new version that can spoil the fun...

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 09:09:37 pm »

Well there are some caveats... mainly that 40d is more stable - there are a few bugs in the new version that can spoil make even more the fFun...
Fix your typos there.  :P
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 10:22:26 am »

Eh .... I'm not sure the bugs really lead to Fun.  Unkillable FBs sort of take me out of the experience, rather than filling my dwarves with good solid terror.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 12:43:31 pm »

Ther is in fact a "Dig Deeper" mod for 40d that might answer your craving for 100+ z-levels.
I did not try it, so I cannot say more.
And I heard Orks are, uh, quite FUN in this mod.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Krimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 12:56:22 pm »

Ther is in fact a "Dig Deeper" mod for 40d that might answer your craving for 100+ z-levels.
I did not try it, so I cannot say more.
And I heard Orks are, uh, quite FUN in this mod.

Actually dig deeper stood to the normal 40d dig depth limit,  It just added in a bunch of new content (and yes.. those orcs,  Expect a siege sometimes immediatly following your first caravan,  Do not expect to survive,  Granted I managed to get to the second siege HALF A YEAR LATER before i died due to champion orcs.)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 03:35:03 pm »

Hmmm, I was SURE I saw the possibility of digging past the normal 40d limits in Dig Deeper mod. This was the first time I even thought how cool that would be and was later quite surprised in a good way to read DF2010 will enable 100+ levels digging.

A quick search through the forums turns nothing to support my claims however, so I must have confused something. I appologize to be misleading.

On the other hand, is there maybe some other 40d mod with 100+ z-levels?
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 06:26:55 pm »

On the other hand, is there maybe some other 40d mod with 100+ z-levels?

Sadly, I don't think it's possible at all. Dwarf Fortress is currently a bit limited in the things you can mod. Creatures, items, rock layers, and such are generally all in the raws and up for grabs, but anything related to the behavior of the game is up to Toady, or if you're really lucky, memory-hackers.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 02:56:15 am »

Well, this means that some time before DF2010 I had seriusly misunderstood something in some topic what lead me to believe in this fictional "100+ z-levels in 40d" mod. Terribly sorry, though I chuckle a bit at my own confusement.  :)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 02:59:40 am »

In 40d you can dig 15 levels below the surface at its shallowest location, and you can build 15 levels above the surface at its highest location. If you have a perfectly flat map, this will amount to thirty levels, but if you build on the side of a mountain you can get upwards of 100 or more levels.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 03:17:55 am »

In 40d you can dig 15 levels below the surface at its shallowest location, and you can build 15 levels above the surface at its highest location. If you have a perfectly flat map, this will amount to thirty levels, but if you build on the side of a mountain you can get upwards of 100 or more levels.

This. I think a lot of people got quite good at finding 100z mountain cliffs. I once had a 100+ above-ground bottomless pit... the fps took a hit, though.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 08:39:58 am »

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

Newest Mayday version's there. v15. Gooo!