Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beyond Sieges: The Campaign  (Read 1906 times)

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
Beyond Sieges: The Campaign
« on: March 13, 2008, 04:02:00 pm »

Now that NPC civilian professions are being coded in, I think it'd be a cool Bloat-ish thing if a goblin Civ could declare a campaign against your fortress.

A campaign would be something akin to what we do when we start/reclaim on top of a goblin fortress, but with the goblins doing it to us.  An army would arrive, but not attack right away, and it would bring civilians with it.  They choose some spot on the map, and build workshops, etc., preparing their attack.  Goblin woodcutters start chopping down trees, goblin siege engineers would make catapults and ballistae to defend, masons could build walls or tear down your walls, and miners would dig moats or (gasp!) alternate attack routes into your fortress.

If you don't wipe out the goblins, they would start sending skirmishers to try and take out your outdoor dwarves, try to capture "territory" on the small scale by building walls/fortifications/siege engines ever closer to your fort, and eventually start sending in raids to your fortress proper.  They could possibly even get reinforcements over time, akin to dwarven migrants.

Obviously, the AI for this stuff would be pretty simplistic (start by going for some area a large distance from fortress entry points, random sorts of timers for attacks, and they wouldn't worry about food, bedrooms etc.), but it could still be really fun.  It would need to be an extremely rare occurence, since it would probably last several years of game time, so they probably wouldn't happen more than once every 10-15 years.

What do people think?  Does it sound like a good idea?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Sieges: The Campaign
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

Great idea, but definately bloat/power goal.  Not going to see it for a while, not until at least after we can leave a fort without abandoning it.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:44:00 pm »

I think regular sieges are going to receive sappers eventually too. No more "Hey let's all take a stroll down that bloody winding corridor filled with <narrow>"

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:48:16 pm »

This is a great idea!

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 04:42:29 pm »

I can see the fps melting away before my eyes...
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:06:42 pm »

If this ever happens in the far future, probably by the time you can actually wage war, you still need to be able to turn it off.
Having that happen on my average embark location between 6x6 and 7x8 would be rather inconcerning, but rapidly grow dangerous, not only to my already strained frame rate, but also because they got plenty of room and are a while away.
On a small map, say, 3x3, the goblins end up spawning in your defenses, and there's no way around direct confrontation.

... How long have I been away?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:35:23 pm »

Been suggested ten thousand times. Do a quick search for "improved sieges" or hell, just "sieges" and you're bound to come up with a tonne of them.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:40:58 am »

Need a simpler (but still as effective) and bug-free military before I'd ever upgrade to a version with NPC miners or sappers.
Sig to be updated momentarily.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 01:37:52 am »

What you just described is this thing called "siege".