Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer + Underground = instant FPS crush?  (Read 897 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifer + Underground = instant FPS crush?
« on: May 15, 2010, 12:33:50 pm »

After revealing the underground, my FPS started to spiral down since underground caverns are holes, and aquifers generate infinite water when they don't have a wall to stop them... How do people deal with such underground aquifer FPS crises?

For now I'm going for the wussy option of deleting all the [Aquifer] tags in the inorganic_stone_*.txt raw files. I want an ocean but not an aquifer.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer + Underground = instant FPS crush?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:37:43 pm »

reveal has been known to do this.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:15:14 pm »

I don't think he means he used reveal.exe, rather he breached the caverns and they're now filling up with water?

In any case, yes, reveal.exe will crush FPS, as will draining an aquifer into the caverns.

Best to avoid both.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 01:16:40 pm »

Flooding the caverns with an aquifier...

Now there's an idea on how to make a new type of underground fortress.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 01:54:11 pm »

It just so happened, the caverns were 1 floor tile away from my starting map because of cliffs. As soon as I discovered this, FPS started to drop more and more as the aquifer 'activated'.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.