Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Numberpad  (Read 584 times)

Louis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Numberpad
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:02:40 pm »

I just put DF on my laptop, but it doesn't have a numberpad.  Just starting my game I wasn't able to change my civilization(which I could live with), but I couldn't add skills to my dwarves.  I imagine there will be other problems along the way as well.  Is there any way I can work around this or somehow change the key bindings?

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Numberpad
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:39:06 pm »

You could go all out & splurge on a usb numeric keypad. That was my solution - picked one up for $1 at a local variety / junk / etc dealer.

Or just use a full sized usb keyboard.

Otherwise it's key binding mods.

I kinda seem to recall a mod or something for DF on laptops ... it may have just been a general guide on the wiki.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:39:30 pm »

No mods needed...

You want to change the 'secondary selector' key bindings from the menu 'Key Bindings' in the ESC menu.

You can also change it in the interface.txt file in the data\init directory. In that case change these ones:
Code: [Select]
[SECONDSCROLL_UP:SUBTRACT]
[SECONDSCROLL_DOWN:ADD]
[SECONDSCROLL_PAGEUP:DIVIDE]
[SECONDSCROLL_PAGEDOWN:MULTIPLY]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:41:28 pm by Scarpa »

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:49:33 pm »

Quick question on keybindings. I've changed them before within the menu, but the changes never persist. They need to be re-bound whenever I start playing again. Can anyone think of why this might be happening?

edit: i don't mean to hijack the thread. It's related to the op's question, I think.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:52:35 pm by Collic »

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:57:22 pm »

You have to export your key bindings to text by pressing s on the keybindings screen. They should produce a text file labelled interface in your init folder.

You really don't need a number pad to play the game as mentioned above - I'm playing on a tiny laptop (13 inches) and I just rebound the +/- keys to the appropriate analogs on your keyboard. It's not necessarily the same as posted above (Mine are listed as MINUS and SHIFT+EQUALS, for example), but you're looking to replace secondary selector/second scroll, as mentioned.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:00:50 pm »

You have to export your key bindings to text by pressing s on the keybindings screen. They should produce a text file labelled interface in your init folder.

Thankyou! I saw the option but it's purpose did'nt ever click.

Louis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 10:41:19 pm »

Awesome, thank you!