Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Pets  (Read 541 times)

tuzed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about Pets
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:24:37 pm »

Please help.

How exactly do you mod pets into the embark selection sheet?

I am still using 40d, as I am on a mac, and wine does not work.
DIG DEEPER!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Pets
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 06:01:48 pm »

[COMMON_DOMESTIC] plus [PET] or [MOUNT].
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

tuzed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 06:19:05 pm »

I am trying to embark with pet dragons, but they do not show up on my embark screen. I have [common_domestic], plus both [pet] and [mount] tags on, and even removed the pet_exotic and megabeast tags.

Here is my raw file:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DIG DEEPER!!!

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »

Remove the [FANCIFUL] tag.  In order for COMMON_DOMESTIC to work, a creature must be [NATURAL].  GENPOWER doesn't seem to be a valid token.  You need to give your creature make and female castes so it can reproduce, not sure if that will affect its availability tho...  Is this a pre-0.31.xx creature raw? It must be, it doesn't have any tissues, lol.   You'd be better off editing one of the creatures from the current raws into a pet than trying to migrate your raw like this if you don't know how.  You have a bunch of deprecated tokens, and are missing a bunch of necessary tokens

Also, for new creatures to show up on embark, you have to generate a new world (your existing civilizations don't have any of the creatures).

Also strictly speaking, yes COMMON_DOMESTIC adds animals to the embark screen, but that's not all it does, and its not the only way to get them there.  COMMON_DOMESTIC also makes all other races have them, and makes them show up as pets with your immigrants.  If you give it the creature a biome, subterranean for example, and add USE_CAVE_ANIMALS tag to your civilization, they will appear on the embark screen, and only civs with USE_CAVE_ANIMALS will have access to them, and they won't show up with your migrants.  I don't believe there are any other subterranean pets, so you don't get other animals that way, either.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:47:14 pm by derigo »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:31:47 pm »

Do you have any errors in your errorlog.txt? Did you regenerate the world?
And yeah, try to add NATURAL.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:06:16 pm »

Grr, forum didn't warn me someone else had posted like its 'sposed to before I submitted that edit.

tuzed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 07:12:33 pm »

Thank you. :)

I am still using the old version, as wine does not work on my computer. It was the fanciful tag that was preventing me from getting my pet dragons.

What does the Fanciful tag do? I though it just means that the creature is considered to be highly valued by dwarves and other civs.

DIG DEEPER!!!

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 07:28:28 pm »

from the wiki:
FANCIFUL        Makes every civilization know about the creature. The creature won't occur in regular material preference lists. The tag also adds some art value modifiers. Used for things like dragons and other legendary creatures.

COMMON_DOMESTIC        Allows the creature to be brought with immigrants and when creating a new fortress, as long as the creature also includes at least one of the following tokens: PET, PACK_ANIMAL, WAGON_PULLER, MOUNT. In addition, the creature must be NATURAL rather than FANCIFUL