Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF on Linux?  (Read 544 times)

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF on Linux?
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:05:19 pm »

Not sure where to post this ...

How can I get DF working on Linux?  I see references to it when I search on the topic, but I can't find anything on the DF home page, and haven't found a recent version.

Is it supported on Linux?  I ask because my Linux server is much more powerful than my Windows machine, and the latter is having trouble running with a decent FPS once I get 80-100 dwarves.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: DF on Linux?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:25:13 pm »

The current release doesn't have a Linux native version yet. It can, however, be run without problems in wine. Well, without problems... I use the latest Wine version, the latest DF release, I have a fairly slow laptop with OpenSUSE and I haven't seen as much as a graphic glitch or and artifact yet, much less a crash (it only refuses to exit (the process keeps running at minimum cpu usage and I have to kill it manually when I exit it via the menu)). Some people, however, have reported crashes, glitches and other such issues with DF in wine. Just try it, that can't hurt.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 04:28:57 pm »

Just to get you excited, the post merge version will include a TEXT mode that can be run over an ssh session.

Should drop in a few days according to the latest dev log entry.

Details on the features added by the merge are here.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:43:52 pm »

Just to get you excited, the post merge version will include a TEXT mode that can be run over an ssh session.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but does that mean I'll be able to play DF from any internet-capable machine with my home computer doing the calculations and the remote machine acting only as a display for the output?
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 04:59:59 pm »

Sorry if I misunderstood, but does that mean I'll be able to play DF from any internet-capable machine with my home computer doing the calculations and the remote machine acting only as a display for the output?

Yes.

On topic:  I use WINE,  and even Embark Anywhere works using WINE.  occassionally it crashes,  but that's pretty rare.

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Loving cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 08:28:22 pm »

Not only wine works great, but Dwarf Therapist 0.5.1 works as well on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (didn't on an up-to-date Karmic version). Now I don't have any reasons to reboot into Windows anymore!
Nothing screams "Christmas" quite like a new release of DF.

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:33:48 pm »

Not only wine works great, but Dwarf Therapist 0.5.1 works as well on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (didn't on an up-to-date Karmic version). Now I don't have any reasons to reboot into Windows anymore!

Huh, so it does. Didn't even think to try that before. Thank you, sir!

(running on Arch Linux, so I can confirm that it works there as well).

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 11:00:17 pm »

Should drop in a few days according to the latest dev log entry.
Granted, a few days was the estimate a few weeks ago too...
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.