Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple temperature  (Read 474 times)

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simple temperature
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:26:32 am »

Running with temperature on utterly kills framerates, especially when it's taking into account (generally unnecessary) individual dwarven body parts several tiles away from any heat source. Really the only thing that many players want it for are weather effects and to melt things (goblins, stone, etc.) in magma, which usually doesn't warrant turning it on for constant ~30 FPS.

Can we not have a 'simple' temperature system in addition to the current, which, in terms of high temperatures at least, only worries about what is in contact with or adjacent to magma tiles, so that we can have the best bits of this system without all the horrid computational bloat?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 02:28:32 am by Leperous »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple temperature
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:33:24 am »

Is there any evidence this isn't currently the case? I can't think of a time when a temperature has effected something more than a square away. Even heated water that will happily melt flesh off the bones of those that walk through it doesn't appear to effect adjacent ice squares.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:40:19 am »

Is there any evidence this isn't currently the case? I can't think of a time when a temperature has effected something more than a square away. Even heated water that will happily melt flesh off the bones of those that walk through it doesn't appear to effect adjacent ice squares.

I'm pretty sure you're right, and I'm honestly not sure what temperature does that makes it so CPU-intensive.  Does every single untouched rock need its temperature updated so often?

Anyway, I'm 100% with the OP's sentiment -- temperature currently gives very little bang for the CPU buck, and it needs serious optimization and/or an in-between option.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:47:50 am »

I would be saner is temperature calculations were made only every ~ 1 game day or so or if there is reason to do so (say, when something come into contact with magma or high-temperature creature.)

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:23:26 pm »

I have a save file where all the dwarves spontaneously combust if temperature is turned on, despite being in a room next to a magma pipe. I know this is a water/heat related bug, but the point is that the temperature calculations are for everything and it would be great to have a scaled down version that melted your face if you fell in lava, rather than drowning!