Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reducing the amount of metal/gems in DF 2010  (Read 1097 times)

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
reducing the amount of metal/gems in DF 2010
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:00:55 pm »

because it's freak-en everywhere. seriously, the first time I tried DF 2010 I thought I had inadvertently installed a hack along with it because crap is everywhere.. its just.. everywhere. and with the multiple z levels it just feels like cheating. anyone know of a mod that reduces the amount of metals/gems for 2010 or a way I can simply mod my own?
They told me I was daft for building a Fort on an Aquifer, but I built it all the same, just to show em'.
It flooded then caved in.
So I built a second one; that one caught fire, was besieged by orcs, and then flooded and caved in.
but the third one... stayed up! and now you can do the same! good luck to ye!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: reducing the amount of metal/gems in DF 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:21:13 pm »

In the two files...

inorganic_stone_mineral
and
inorganic_stone_gem

all the entries have a bunch of lines that look like these...

[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_ALL:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:ALLUVIAL:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:GRANITE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:GNEISS:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:METAMORPHIC:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:GRANITE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:LIMESTONE:VEIN:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:METAMORPHIC:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:GRANITE:CLUSTER_SMALL:100]

These entries all have 100 at the end... Which is presumably frequency...

Lower those to like 20 for ALL of them and see what happens?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

AceOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:16:56 pm »

hmm.. that seemed to work, using DFHack's reveal showed what at first to the naked eye to be only a slight reduction in metal/gem levels, but examined closer seemed that was indeed much more space between veins,and that all veins in general were less common. not by a lot but enough to matter.

thanks.
They told me I was daft for building a Fort on an Aquifer, but I built it all the same, just to show em'.
It flooded then caved in.
So I built a second one; that one caught fire, was besieged by orcs, and then flooded and caved in.
but the third one... stayed up! and now you can do the same! good luck to ye!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:29:04 pm »

No problem, if you want more "space" just lower the numbers even further. ;) But you already knew that.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 01:03:06 pm »

Supposedly a good idea is to make each layer stone appear as veins and clusters in itself (so granite appears as both a layer stone as well as in veins and clusters in granite). This will make it so a large amount of the veins and clusters in the layer are actually just extra layer stones.

Krimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 02:28:43 pm »

I didnt get this too much either,  They throw so many minerals at you its almost unfair.  I felt like when i would play mmo's and they'd have those "events" where they'd give out a whole bunch of stuff free,  Its too much!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 03:51:30 pm »

Could also make it so more ore is required to produce a single bar of metal, (or that there is a lower chance of successfully smelting it). Or add a load of useless but decorative stones to dilute it, somewhat.