Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Prefered construction side" for walls  (Read 1443 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
"Prefered construction side" for walls
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:57:42 pm »

When placing a wall, add the ability to choose which side you want the dwarf to stand on when they build it.  There would also be a default option, so you won't have to choose a side each and every time.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Prefered construction side" for walls
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 11:36:43 pm »

This would be convenient, compared to the current solution of designating walls in the places we don't want the builder to stand then suspending those jobs.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:03:48 am »

I wonder if burrows could be used to the same effect as the fake wall workaround? It would probably be even more cumbersome than the walls though...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:58:41 pm »

I wonder if burrows could be used to the same effect as the fake wall workaround? It would probably be even more cumbersome than the walls though...

I'd bet not.  The wall itself (as a job) exists in the same square as the wall when completed.  However, the location the dwarf paths to is determined by a bit of logic that looks for empty squares next to the wall:

if(is_west_clear) {
   get_path(wall.x - 1, wall.y);
}
else if(is_east_clear) {
   get_path(wall.x + 1, wall.y);
}

etc.

So the behavior I would expect would be that the dwarf does the job from the west anyway even if that tile is not in the burrow or that the dwarf cancels because the intended destination for the job is outside his burrow (and suspends the wall: cannot find path).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:00:12 pm by Draco18s »

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:11:21 am »

Please implement this, so many of my masons have constructed themselves into impossible positions, slowly dying of thirst because they were too dumb to build the wall form the 'inside'  ::). Some situations dont allow you to use the awkward "Place-Walls-And-Suspend-Construction" method ( like building into empty space ).
Perhaps the "Build from Direction" ought to be in the 'q' menu option (where you can cancel and remove construction in progress).
A "Build Order" option would be good too, that would be more troublesome code wise i imagine as you would then also have to come up with a concept of a construction-group instead of individual blocks to be built.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 10:27:15 am »

I think a calculate path to nearest food*, stand on the side that path would go is probably a safe, quick and easy solution. And wouldn't require designation (although designation would be nice as well).

*Or other appropriate thing, meeting hall, barracks, bed or depot spring to mind.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd