Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Break it down and build it up again!  (Read 2621 times)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Re: Break it down and build it up again!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 06:33:45 am »

Tree and Trees are Tree and Trees when they stand up. Once cut down they turn into plank and planks. So that should fix that up.
Now, my quest takes the path of removing unused bodyparts and probably hair, beards etc from the dwarves.

Anyone have a insight into the difference between body_deafult och body_rcp?
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 09:59:19 am »

This would be useful as a "barebones mod template" that people could download and build total-conversion mods from.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 10:15:53 am »

Yes it would. 

I don't know what body_rcp is for,  I've looked around and haven't been able to find an answer.  When I create custom body parts, I always duplicate them there using the same naming scheme used in the vanilla raws, but its just mimicry.  I have no idea if its necessary or useful to do so.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 02:22:39 pm »

TheSpaceMan, seeing as a lot of people are liking this idea. I suggest you do two things. Release a version when you believe you got the game to about as minimum as you can get it and then the version you were shooting for.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 02:34:19 pm »

TheSpaceMan, seeing as a lot of people are liking this idea. I suggest you do two things. Release a version when you believe you got the game to about as minimum as you can get it and then the version you were shooting for.
Grandiose (read crazy) thoughts...

Maybe a modpack(dif-pack?) (like a Linux application repo) could be build from it, using the bare build as a base and adding "Dwarf Fortress" default settings to it and other modders can choose to build off that (making it required) or build their own specifications.  Then people could toggle on or off feature mods they like.

Mods could be tied to versions and the mod would launch the appropriate DF (if it was available) with the supported mods enabled.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:35:57 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 07:55:32 pm »

Releasing the mod barebone for use in a total conversion was part of the plan.

I have considered throwing together a SVN repository containing the data as well.
It's easier to keep track of changes and errors that way since it's possible to see what files and chages have been done between versions.

This being said, I am quite new to moding DF in any larger scale so this will have to go one step at a time. Already had to undo lots of changes once because i just generated a world without errors but never tried to start a fortress.

Now it's time to sleep. Might poke around a bit more and see what i did wrong tomorrow.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 07:22:48 am »

did this plan die? did you finish?
I was hoping to use this mod to understand the raws a bit better myself.

THE_TREE and THE_CIV and THE_ROCK and THE_GEM and THE_SAND
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 [2]