Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Activity Zones/Designations  (Read 645 times)

E. Appelgren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Activity Zones/Designations
« on: October 31, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »

Could these two be merged into one menu? They seem to be quite loosely defined anyway... Sand collecting is an activity zone. Plant gathering a designation. Traffic management sorts under designations, while fishing is an "activity zone".

Anyway, thanks for a great game! I started playing a week or so before the new version!

(Also - I hope you someday will implement armadillos. They are excellent swimmers and rapid diggers. In fact they are considered a pest by many - as they dig up farm plots(!). The three-banded armadillo can roll into a ball. The nine-banded armadillos generally give birth to four young - and they are always genetically identical. And they have very long tongues. Their boneplates can be used to make baskets. And their meat is edible.)

EDIT: more armadillo facts added

[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: E. Appelgren ]

..here is a jawbone caked in muck!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Activity Zones/Designations
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by E. Appelgren:
<STRONG>EDIT: more armadillo facts added</STRONG>

I now expect to see:
"Urist Hfjdklslf cancels Plant Seeds: interrupted by Armadillo nest"

As for Desginations/Zones, I aggree that they are very similar, but there may be some differences in mechanics. Zones seem to apply as standing orders, while a Designation is one-time. Saying that, it may be nice to have a standing Gather Plants order in some patches, instead of having to re-assign the new ones on a weekly basis.

P.S. You can mod the panzershwine in now. Check out the zoo mod, I don't know if it has been updated for the 10-29 release.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

E. Appelgren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:43:00 am »

Ah. Perhaps. But aren't traffic designations and the "forbid" designation handled like "standing orders"?

(If it is possible to make animals dig holes (armadillos should) or tunnels in the ground, rabbits and bunnymen would be another great addition. I would avoid anything bloodthirsty that looked too much like a "Monthy Python and the Holy Grail" reference though.   :D Bonus fact: There is a type of armadillo called the "pink fairy armadillo". Beautiful name.)

Also. Toady - I'm sorry. I probably should have posted this some other time, what with all the bug reports/new version comments flooding in.

[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: E. Appelgren ]

..here is a jawbone caked in muck!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 04:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>P.S. You can mod the panzershwine in now. Check out the zoo mod, I don't know if it has been updated for the 10-29 release.</STRONG>

It has been.  ZM3