Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Awwww...Skill Decay?  (Read 10838 times)

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Awwww...Skill Decay?
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2010, 08:08:40 pm »

No world regen required? Not true. This comes from experience. Upon adding and removing [SPEED:1] to and from creature_standard.txt I didn't see the change until after I created a new world.

Loading the existing save: no change
Abandoning fortress, starting a new game and reclaiming the last fortress: no change
After creating new world: saw it instantly, dwarves moved ridiculously fast
Removed the line one last time and loaded the game: they still moved ridic fast

Erm, don't the region folders have their own raws? Editing those would probably make the change immediate and wouldn't require a worldgen.

this is true, I do this all the time. make the changes in df/raw/objects, need regen, make the changes in df/data/save/region1/raw/objects, no need for regen.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2010, 08:18:51 pm »

Make enormous copper corkscrew / R

Don't have any stockpiles that accept non-masterwork enormous copper corkscrews.

Problem solved, if you have more than one weaponsmith. Same things apply for copper leggings, buckets, and goblets. Periodically mark everything in the forge for melting

Good idea, i should try this.. once i get my magma forges working
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2010, 08:23:22 pm »

No world regen required? Not true. This comes from experience. Upon adding and removing [SPEED:1] to and from creature_standard.txt I didn't see the change until after I created a new world.

Abandoning fortress, starting a new game and reclaiming the last fortress: no change

Erm, don't the region folders have their own raws? Editing those would probably make the change immediate and wouldn't require a worldgen.

this is true, I do this all the time. make the changes in df/raw/objects, need regen, make the changes in df/data/save/region1/raw/objects, no need for regen.

Not always a good idea. May cause crashiness depending on what you add. New workshops, for instance, seem to make for unhappiness sometimes.

Speaking of new workshops, the latest sparkgear had someone mod in swimming pools, libraries, obstacle courses, and other 'workshops' to combat skill rust in various skills. I'm not sure whether they got the idea, so maybe there are mods already out that do this?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2010, 08:30:56 pm »

Not always a good idea. May cause crashiness depending on what you add. New workshops, for instance, seem to make for unhappiness sometimes.

Speaking of new workshops, the latest sparkgear had someone mod in swimming pools, libraries, obstacle courses, and other 'workshops' to combat skill rust in various skills. I'm not sure whether they got the idea, so maybe there are mods already out that do this?

To make new workshops and reactions, you must regen the world. But to edit attributes of creatures like adding the [SPEED:0] tag to the dwarf RAWs, you do not need to regen, you only have to restart the program. The thing is, to edit creatures like that you have to edit the RAWs in the save folder, not the main RAW folder. If you edit the RAWs in the main folder you will have to regen to make it work.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2010, 08:54:13 pm »

Yeah... I'm not a fan of this skill decay, or stat decay especially.  Maybe this is tied to dwarves becoming balls of lard after a few years?

EDITED TO FIX THE ISSUE NOTED BELOW

Now also to take into account the distinction between MENT and PHYS
Code: [Select]
        [SKILL_RATES:100:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]              +
[PHYS_ATT_RATES:STRENGTH:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILITY:150:600:800:900:1000:1100:1500]                 -
[PHYS_ATT_RATES:AGILITY:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:TOUGHNESS:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]             +
[PHYS_ATT_RATES:TOUGHNESS:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]    +
[MENT_ATT_RATES:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:FOCUS:700:1200:1400:1500:1600:1800:2500]                ++
[MENT_ATT_RATES:FOCUS:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:CREATIVITY:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]            +
[MENT_ATT_RATES:CREATIVITY:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:PATIENCE:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]              +
[MENT_ATT_RATES:PATIENCE:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:MEMORY:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]                +
[MENT_ATT_RATES:MEMORY:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RANGE:SPATIAL_SENSE:700:1200:1400:1500:1600:1800:2500]        ++
[MENT_ATT_RATES:SPATIAL_SENSE:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]

There's the code to remove decay, if I didn't fuck up.  Drop that in creature_standard

Fixed it.

Also:  ADDING things to the RAWS in saves is a bad idea;  editing what already exists is just fine however.  Just make sure you don't leave any temp. files.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 08:55:55 pm »

Oh... How embarrassing. No, I didn't know about RAWs in region folders.

Ok, fine, so the [SPEED:1] doesn't require worldregen (I'll take your word for it, for now :D ), but the skill gain rates remained much the same.
The region RAWs are pretty much copies of the main folder RAWs, and I can see the changes in those region RAWs.
It doesn't matter if SKILL_RATES is 100 or 5000, there's no visible difference in the game.
I mean, that should be 50x faster skill gain, right?

So far I've tried values 2, 75 and 5000. No visible change, not even after worldregen.
Now, why is that?

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2010, 08:59:03 pm »

It is SKILL_RATES.  Unfortunately, it seems that tag is broken.  I have heard that someone using the SLOW_LEARNER tag didn't get any changes, so something isn't right with it.  The names used in Magmawiki comes from something called a String Dump, which I believe is watching the game's code while it is running and recording it into notepad for reverse engineering purposes.

String Dump
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:String_dump

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2010, 11:39:36 pm »

Correct.

If you're only editing the base raws then yes you do need to regen. If you edit the raws for that region then you do not need to regen. This goes with any other change as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]