Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mermaid scales  (Read 5106 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mermaid scales
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 10:46:37 am »

Yup, eating mermaid flesh is supposed to extend your life.

Got a source for that?

Regardless, this thread isn't about eating giant toenails to get magic powers, it's about mundane uses for rare creatures. Magic bodyparts have been talked about extensively in other threads and don't really need any more discussion. At least not here.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:49:10 am by Pilsu »

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 02:39:47 pm »

Yup, eating mermaid flesh is supposed to extend your life.

Got a source for that?

Regardless, this thread isn't about eating giant toenails to get magic powers, it's about mundane uses for rare creatures. Magic bodyparts have been talked about extensively in other threads and don't really need any more discussion. At least not here.

IIRC, it was part of eastern folklore involving mermaids. I think it was of Japanese origin, and there was even a manga or something involving it in the plotline (i've got friends who talk about this stuff to me all the time, so i may have gotten that idea from there).

Using scales for dyes though still seems a bit iffy, and although you might get an interesting color from dragon blood, or a cyclops eye, I see no real reasoning for it since alchemy could take care of it whenever it comes about.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 03:37:16 pm »

Sounds good, but then, I think, we should rehash the painting system a bit.

In the real-world, a lot of durable pigments were made from mineral and metals. And I think you should be able to do so in DF as well.
Like, vermillion is made from cinnebar, and ocre, sienna and umber are made from their respective clays.
Lapis Lazuli in particular is famous for being used as the blue pigment for paintings in the egyptian tombs. It was also known as being quite expensive.

Perhaps bugs?  They make a nice purple.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »

Sounds good, but then, I think, we should rehash the painting system a bit.

In the real-world, a lot of durable pigments were made from mineral and metals. And I think you should be able to do so in DF as well.
Like, vermillion is made from cinnebar, and ocre, sienna and umber are made from their respective clays.
Lapis Lazuli in particular is famous for being used as the blue pigment for paintings in the egyptian tombs. It was also known as being quite expensive.

Perhaps bugs?  They make a nice purple.

Based on a true story

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 08:14:45 pm »

Oh thanks Draco. I was going to have those as a surprise in my mod but now you've ruined it. >:|

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 09:18:26 pm »

Oh thanks Draco. I was going to have those as a surprise in my mod but now you've ruined it. >:|

No, you ruined it by speaking up! Had you not said anything, it still would have been a surprise! >:3

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 09:37:59 am »

No, you ruined it by speaking up! Had you not said anything, it still would have been a surprise! >:3

You knew fine well I wouldn't be able to control my indignation!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 11:21:58 am »

You knew fine well I wouldn't be able to control my indignation!

I had no idea.
Pages: 1 [2]