Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Goblin Prisoners: What Should I Do With Them?  (Read 9388 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Prisoners: What Should I Do With Them?
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 07:53:25 am »

Goblins are logic devices are actually rather nice.  They have a quick running speed and some use of the RNG.  If you construct a situation like so:
Code: [Select]
  ^ 
  | 
^-+-^
  |
  |
then you have a 3 way splitter.  The goblin can go up any set of stairs (assuming that the path they lead to is of equal length) because goblins take the shortest route.  However, when routes are the same length, it gets a bit random.  Add specific pressure plates to every available path, and you have a 1-3 random number generator!  Granted, the DF engine, being what it is, shows preferences in the RNG, particularly the upper left side, but this is still better than nothing.  Any point where you can introduce a split path for a creature gives good mixed results.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 08:20:07 am »

arena! blood for the dwarves! unarm your goblins and have your recruits fight them or pit armed gobbos against various wildlife and semi-megabeasts.
every dwarf fortress should have atleast one arena.

you could also chain gobbo in the middle of arena and let your marksdwarves shoot it with bone bolts from the balcony

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 01:58:57 pm »

Would there be any way to get gobbos to perform labour for you? Training and computers aside? I see slavery in the ethics tokens for the civs in world gen - but to have goblins power your mills and such would be fun. The downside of this would be the FUN of feeding your prisoners and slave rebellions? :P Mod request plz??
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 02:05:47 pm »

build a fortress for your prisoners. when you have collected enough gobbos,(like 300) release them and have your dwarves fight in  massive battle

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 02:15:29 pm »

Slavery is in the ethics, but is not usable.  There is as-yet any way to bend another civilization to our will.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 08:35:36 pm »

Wait, is there a way you can strip them JUST of their weapons and not their armor? I want my training victims to last longer before succumbing to a flurry of training weapon blows to the head.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 09:17:56 pm »

Only by individually dumping weapons via the stocks menu.  You can't see the inventory of a creature in a cage.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 02:14:06 pm »

Prisoners in elf-begotten wooden cages are chucked into the magma, cage and all. Prisoners in valuable reusable metal cages are subjected to execution by Dwarven Firing Squad (which is also excellent target practice, and gives the marksdwarves happy thoughts).

Particularly high-value prisoners are kept in the zoo.
Pages: 1 [2]