Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF 2010: How do get the dorfs to mine?  (Read 511 times)

mellian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF 2010: How do get the dorfs to mine?
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:19:03 pm »

I started playing 2010 and encountered an issue from embarkation. Usually at the beginning in 40d, I just set all the dwarves to mine with DF therapist to get a basic home setup right away and a place to store all the stuff and a meeting hall. In 2010, I do the same and only the Miner is digging, with the rest just idling, not bothering to pick up the pick and start digging. I am not if this is a bug or intentional or there is a new way to force dorfs to work, but it is really hampering start up and not fun. Reminds me of when I first started 40d the other month until I discovered the order commands and in turn DF therapist.

Thank you for any help.

-mellian

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2010: How do get the dorfs to mine?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:27:53 pm »

i don't use dwarf therapist but i seem to recall hearing of an issue with mining/woodcutting, that when you enable them via dwarf therapist it doesn't trigger the part that tells them to actually go grab the required implement. try switching the labors ingame.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 11:35:14 pm »

I can confirm that I had this same problem with DT, and can also confirm that turning those labors back off in DT and enabling them in the game itself will work.  Just have to remember to do that for both mining and woodcutting as they both have tools related to the labor.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Rog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 11:38:56 pm »

Ya, if you read about DT; mining, woodcutting, and maybe hunting (not sure), have to be toggled in Dwarf Fortress, everything else works. It'll light up like it is on, but they act as though it is off.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:38:57 pm »

also might effect hunting from a brief glance at the DT site

[edit]hunting ninja'd by 1 second!

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:49:40 pm »

Good call, yes hunting would seem to fit the bug too.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

mellian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:15 pm »

And where do I do that in 2010? Menus have changed and re-arranged some and could not find it, otherwise would have tried doing it in-game already.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 11:55:07 pm »

go to dorf (either from the (u)nits screen, zoom to (c)reature, or (v)iew and hover over the dwarf), (p)references, (l)abor

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 02:36:09 am »

This is a known issue with DT and it's in the KNOWN_ISSUES.txt file that comes with it.