Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to DF and 2010. Should I wait for this merge update to start playing?  (Read 888 times)

aurora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey all! I think this game is great and I watched all the video tutorials and did lots of reading but I keep seeing posts and talk about the next big update from Toady. Anyone have any idea if it's close to coming out? Should I wait to play 2010 till then? I really want to dive in but if this big update will fix a lot of bugs maybe i should wait? If its a week or something thats not bad if it's still got a few weeks to go, maybe I will get into it now. what's a gal to do? Thanks guys!  :)

Rog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IMO, play it, I started on DF 2010, and personally have had no big bugs or issues. The only thing I notice is the missing fish (unless you are by an ocean I have found). A lot of what bugs there are I think are avoidable or at the most minor. Totally worth any hassles.

Jazzfunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I started playing 2010 a couple weeks ago, and while at first things worked great, the military system screwed things up pretty bad.  It's difficult to  learn, and when you do figure out how it works, the bugs make it almost unusable. I'm sure many of the military bugs will be fixed when the new patch comes out, but there will be other bugs as well due to the merge.  I suggest you try the previous version first and wait till Toady fixes the new features, unless the new patch magically makes everything work perfectly, which it most likely won't.

aurora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok thxs! What about if the next release comes out soon will my save games be void? Wish I had even a rough idea if the next update was still weeks away or not.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No. Your save games should be fine. That was the point behind the ~1 year wait for the last update. All the save-compatability-breaking changes were dealt with in one update.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

aurora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahh ok thank you. Now if Toady could tell us how much longer we need to wait for the next update  :-* hehe.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile

Ahh ok thank you. Now if Toady could tell us how much longer we need to wait for the next update  :-* hehe.
Release dates are the bane of any and all developers.

He was about two months late on his last ETA, I don't think he'll be making that mistake again anytime soon.
(Not counting the "one week" he gave a week before 31.01, as it was already in essence ready when he said that)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:40:29 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

aurora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, I understand. i would never expect a solid date anyway. Just was wondering if its a good month or more off. Less would be great but to say that would mean, like you said, already being essentially done.

Narmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, I understand. i would never expect a solid date anyway. Just was wondering if its a good month or more off. Less would be great but to say that would mean, like you said, already being essentially done.
Keep an eye on the devlog for clues on how close the release is.

I'm personally playing 40d instead, until the merge and bugfixes.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am not going to play for awhile.  There are a few gruesome bugs and a fair bit of slowness for me, so I think waiting for the merge, bugfixes, and updated tools would be a good idea.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

Love the new features; hate the new bugs (military).

I'm playing d40 for the time being, but I keep wanting to dig into caverns.... :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm playing 0.31.03 and loving it, at least until an unkillable comes along.  Then I gen the next world.   ;)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile

personally I would recommend any new player to start with 40d. I don't think the merge is that far off, and you can begin familiarizing yourself with the basics of the game, with a version that's essentially bug/issue free, and fully documented (all the tutorials are for 40d)

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well most importantly, 40d has the old simple military system and some less bugs.  You want soldiers?  Activate some dorfs and they go hit things.  You want armored soldiers?  They come in 3 flavors (Lth, Chn, Plt).  Want a military that re-assesses their equipment loadout and swaps -equipment- for *equipment* when it becomes available... well start leveling up your micromanagement skills or learn to stop worrying and love the Fun ^_^

I would say if you can deal with spilling water on dirt before you can farm it forever and figure out the 7 (?) screens of National Defense policy and procedure then just jump into 31.03.  If you have trouble with that (and you will lol) then 40d will always be here for you with its soft goblins and easy farming and cozy underground. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...