Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven weapon choice...  (Read 898 times)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Dwarven weapon choice...
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:49:08 pm »

So... my military is currently bludgeoning a titan to death(they may actually be winning... awesome) with wooden training swords while their metal weapons remain sheathed... did i set something up wrong?

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven weapon choice...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:29:41 pm »

Tell us what you set up and maybe we can tell you if you set it up wrong...

"My dwarves are dying did I do something wrong?!!?".

You need to give more info if you want an accurate reply.
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:29:42 am »

it sounds like you've done several things wrong
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 06:31:44 am »

(1) you allowed them to choose their own weapons.  In general you don't ever want to let them used ranged weapons, and bludgeon weapons are pretty pad, so just pass out axes and possibly swords. 

(2) you allowed dwarves to "train".  Training is bugged, hitting things with wooden training weapons is one of the many things that can go wrong.  Instead, assign dwarves to "no scheduled order" and disable all jobs on them.  They should do individual drills in their spare time, which do work. 

I recommend try and get someone to bring a metal edged weapon into the fight, maybe even all your civilians if the titan is immobilized. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Rockx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:25:40 am »

Also, it seems like dwarfs won't hurt themselves training with real (non-training) weapons, probably because they're stuck with individual combat drills at the moment. So just stick 'em with metal weapons and burn the wooden training ones!

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 01:33:27 pm »

I have a similar problem, I gave my folks some wooden training weapons to practice with until I found ores for bronze.  After assigning bronze battle axes, they now carry around both - and only hit stuff with the wooden ones.  Any idea how I can convince them to drop it?
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 01:40:31 pm »

Training weapons are probably intended for use in Sparring, as opposed to the Group or Individual Combat Drill, which doesn't involve actually attacking another target, but instead going through motions and forms until they function without thought.

Fixing issues with weapon assignments, on the other hand, is a time consuming and buggy process. Even if you specifically remove their equipment, sometimes they keep them equipped, and when you go to reassign them, they don't all pick up what they should.

I've given up on micromanaging my military. If they (or other members of their squad) die because they didn't equip a breastplate or sword, they die. At least that way the items are completely freed from an assignment. I have plenty of haulers to promote into my military.

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 01:41:21 pm »

I have a similar problem, I gave my folks some wooden training weapons to practice with until I found ores for bronze.  After assigning bronze battle axes, they now carry around both - and only hit stuff with the wooden ones.  Any idea how I can convince them to drop it?

Im pretty sure you can delete weapons from the loadout in the militaty screen (by selecting them and pressing enter) Not 100% sure cuz i dont use training weapons.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 11:27:04 pm »

Yeah, their current uniforms exclude training weapons, but they hung on to them anyway.  I might just adopt Niveras' solution (if you could call it that).
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:21:18 am »

Try going into z->stocks->weapons and 'd'umping all training weapons.  Some other dorf should come along and take away their training stuff, so they'll either use the real deal or wrestle.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.