Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Needing some suggestions for my fortress  (Read 423 times)

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Needing some suggestions for my fortress
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:13:16 pm »

So I'm on my second year (I think), on a map full of undead, a waterfall, and plenty of trees and plants. After being constantly chased around by skeletal squirrels and and zombie deer I managed to build a wall around the perimeter of my map. My trade depot is outside, and smack in the middle of my map. Theres a single 3 tile wide road (actually its floor tiles made from stone) to the outside of my map for caravans with two (retracting) bridges on each side to completely shut off the road from the rest of the map outside the walls. Now that the undead can't enter my fortress, but a road to allow caravans still exists, my dwarfs can safely go about their business. My single archer can have his merry way with the zombie/skeletal wildlife from atop the perimeter wall, and I have plenty of wood, food, and water. Now I'm wondering what to do next? I have my population cap at 20, and have about 30 dwarfs through babies and such.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Needing some suggestions for my fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:46 pm »

Maybe expanding your fortress so that you can accomodate more dwarves
and then raising your pop cap?

And/or developing industries you  donīt already have (or expand those you already have with more workshops and bigger stockpiles)?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:26:53 pm »

what to do next?

Option 1: Tinker
Dig, play, build stuff. Do nothing in particular. "Tinker."

Option 2: Megaprojects
Remove your population cap and build something big: an inverted glass pyramid, dig out the entire bottom level and sides of the map, attached everything to a single support then remove it, build a castle/temple/ocean/200 foot high basalt zombie squirrel statue/etc.

Option 3: Increase the difficulty a little bit
Deconstruct your walls, stop using traps, train an army, dig down in search of hidden fun stuff.

Option 4: Increase the difficult a lot
Remove your population cap, install Dig Deeper, start a new fortress, try to survive.

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:32:16 pm »

Thanks for suggestions all. I think I'll install dig deeper or relentless assault, and build something neat.

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 11:17:24 am »

As a bit of an update to this:

I installed relentless assault, embarked with a river and magma pipe. I rebuilt my previous fortress, but decided to flood the area outside my walls with magma so my 3 tile wide road was the only way off the map. I then frantically filled the road with stone-fall traps which managed to keep invaders at bay. But then, the slime came. They came without any warning and walked right over my traps. They made their way into the fortress, breaking things as they went. They murdered all but 4 of my dwarfs and eventually died, sending miasma clouds all throughout my fort. Soon two dwarfs died from their wounds, and a third went berserk. After a bit of a chase he murdered my last remaining dwarf and my settlement crumbled into dust.

Dwarfs aren't phased by mass genocide though, so a new party of several axedwarfs reclaimed the fortress. As they arrived on sight they found everything a mess, but things seemed quiet and no harmful creatures were on the map. So they put their axes down and began picking up tossed barrels of dwarven rum, and claiming the clothing of their dead kin. Not two minutes later "AN AMBUSH! CURSE THEM!", oh crap. I looked to the entrance to my fortress but didnt see anything, but my dwarfs started dropping dead, one-by-one. I drafted everyone into my military and they went running for their axes. But it was too late. Four of my dwarfs were down already, but the three others managed to grab their axes. When I finally found where all the destruction was coming from, two more axedwarfs had died. "YOU!" I shouted as I hit the "K" key and found my berserk dwarf from the previous fortress covered in blood, and bulging with superdwarfinly tough strength from chatting at the meeting zone and flexing his muscles to the she-dwarfs. He was already seriously wounded, but my last remaining axedwarf managed to kill him with only suffering four yellow wounds. He then fell into a deep depression, and dragged himself over to the magma pits and promptly through himself in.