Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switching from training to real weapons?  (Read 595 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Switching from training to real weapons?
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:15:23 pm »

How do I make the dwarfs drop training weapons and use real ones? They have both in their inventories, but have sadistically decided to use the training weapons to slowly beat to death a captured tigerman (who has 150 pages of combat reports). I don't think he's going to die anytime soon, and they have another three tigermen waiting. Any help?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Switching from training to real weapons?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 02:18:18 pm »

don't use training weapons.  Ever.  Then select the training weapons to be dumped.  I've read this doesn't work on your military commander, so if he gets too many weapons you have to disband the whole squad and remove him as commander for him to drop his stuff.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:34:15 am »

Ok, one of the dwarfs became attached to a training axe :S Does this mean he'll use it in combat, or will he be happy just to have it in his inventory and use a real weapon instead?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:55:36 am »

Ok, one of the dwarfs became attached to a training axe :S Does this mean he'll use it in combat, or will he be happy just to have it in his inventory and use a real weapon instead?
It means he will never fight with a real weapon.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

NWTreeOctopus

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 02:24:51 pm »

My solution was just to use training weapons with my soldiers until they were fairly skilled (to avoid injuries).  Now, they all spar with their adamantium axes and armor and nary an injury to report.