Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keeping the millitary happy  (Read 974 times)

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
Keeping the millitary happy
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:58:52 am »

I have a millitary problem.

If I leave them on duty, they get upset about being on duty for too long, and throw tantrums.
If I leave them off duty, I have no military, and they don't train.
If I give them a schedule which gives them off-duty time, they get unhappy thoughts about "being relived of duty" and go berserk even faster than if I left them on duty.

Has anyone figured out how to keep their military happy / avoid "relieved from duty" unhappy thoughts? Do I just bite the bullet and build a mist generator in all the barracks?

Also, is there any way to get dwarves to use training weapons automatically? They seem to ignore them, and I've lost a number of dwarves to sparring accidents.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping the millitary happy
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:06:56 am »

This. I've got most of the military stuff down, but not this maintenance stuff.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:58:08 am »

"Relieved from duty" unhappy thought only happens if a dwarf has no civilian skills. This is why all my soldiers first reach Novice level at woodcutting, Furnace Operating, Threshing or Brewing. Only then are they qualified to be a soldier in my forts. Pump Operating would be a fine choice too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 05:46:05 am »

I leave them inactive all the time, and set their barracks in strategic places that I want guarded.

Turn off all the military dwarfs labours and make sure you have training and sleep toggled on for that squad in the Barracks menu, (q) (t) over the barracks, or they wont train.
Now they will just hang out in the barracks and do individual training exercises. 

Not the answer you wanted but scheduling and sparring seems very buggy and prone to accidents at the moment so is best avoided if possible.

If you still have happiness issues make sure they eat in a legendary dining room and put some nice stuff in the barracks.  Masterwork weapon stands and such.