Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone managed to make steam hurt again?  (Read 1191 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Has anyone managed to make steam hurt again?
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:09:58 pm »

After reading Boatmurdered I started trying to figure out how to improve on Operation Fuck The World and make a more controllable goblin steamer.  About the time I'd almost gotten the thing ready I found out that steam isn't even effective enough to give the invaders a decent spa treatment.

I've been looking through the raws to see if there's a token I can add somewhere to make steam hurt, but so far no luck.  Anyone else tried this with more success?  Steam traps sound so much more fun and cinematic and - most importantly - evil than plain old water or magma traps.

What?  I like to imagine the goblins screaming.  That doesn't really mean I'm crazy.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone managed to make steam hurt again?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 03:26:20 pm »

Water and magma are, for the most part, hardcoded. However, boiling doesn't just apply to water. You can create a material with an absurdly high boiling point and a fixed temperature somewhere above that, which would cause it to instantly vaporize and produce a cloud of boiling material. Getting it to go anywhere, however, is another matter...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »

Hmmm, how to go about this... Well talk in another thread is about chilling drinks and what not. You could take this to the extreme with heat.  Temporarily add [FIREIMMUNE] to dwarfs, make a material that doesn't show up anywhere said material be extremely hot, make another material (liquid?) with an extremely high boiling point, drop said liquid onto constructed floor out of hotter material, play around with this until it seems to be working and maybe add a affliction to the boiling liquid... remove fireimmune...

Just an idea.

===============<-room above with hatches with stored liquid
_________________<-walkway with grates
_________________<-floor? of extremely hot material
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:29:40 pm »

If you made a material with a boiling point just below the temperature of lava (which I don't recall), the vapor from that material would burn anything it touched (since a vapor's temperature is determined by it's boiling point).  You wouldn't need to give it a fixed temperature.   Of course, you would need to drop boulders of this material into the lava trap, so it's not really practical.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:12:22 pm »

I managed to make some venom traps that run from below. You could adapt that into some sort of funky steam trap with blisters effect. (steam burns?)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56313.0
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 05:22:19 pm »

Could always use a utility to determine what temperature steam is, and then mod all organic tissues to have a melting point (or heat damage point)below that point.

But then we're getting kinda crazy with it.  And folks would probably start melting at random in the tropics.

I mean...melting at random in the tropics without the help of rain that is...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 05:33:16 pm »

Well yeah, maybe some long-term exposure to boiling steam (if it is hot enough) could damage creatures. the big problem is how to make a system that produces steam without casting magma into obsidian. (1/7 water on magma only fizzles without making obsidian, however an automated system other than pits to make steam would be complicated.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 09:32:18 pm »

Some people have said that you can make Fireproof/Heatproof clothes out of Dragon Leather since it has a very high resistance to heat. Does this mean that if you were to make a material with an absurdly high natural temperature (hot enough to normally melt dwarves), that a dwarf would be able to handle it if they were dressed head to foot in clothing made out of heatproof material?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:26 pm »

I highly doubt it.  I'm even skeptical about wearing dragon leather making you resistant to heat.  When I did stuff like that back in 40d it didn't behave that way at all.

But with this new materiel system maybe.  If it does work though I would call it a bug.  Just because you are wearing something that isn't bothered by the heat doesn't mean the heat won't bother you.  And wearing something with a fixed temp well over your tolerance for heat would probably be similar to wearing a full suit of molten steel.  I don't see anybody coming out of something like that with a smile on their face.

The biggest effect I could imagine would be high temp contaminants hitting a heat resistant leather not harming you as much.  Ambient temperature or something though it's not going to effect in the least.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 10:37:17 pm »

I highly doubt it.  I'm even skeptical about wearing dragon leather making you resistant to heat.  When I did stuff like that back in 40d it didn't behave that way at all.

But with this new materiel system maybe.  If it does work though I would call it a bug.  Just because you are wearing something that isn't bothered by the heat doesn't mean the heat won't bother you.  And wearing something with a fixed temp well over your tolerance for heat would probably be similar to wearing a full suit of molten steel.  I don't see anybody coming out of something like that with a smile on their face.

The biggest effect I could imagine would be high temp contaminants hitting a heat resistant leather not harming you as much.  Ambient temperature or something though it's not going to effect in the least.

I think that we should forget about real world physics for heat transference for a moment and remember that Dwarf Fortress operates by its own set of rules. Dragon Leather doesn't have a high fixed temperature, but instead has an absurdly high temperature required to set it on fire or boil it. I'm thinking that if you had a hypothetical suit of fireproof clothes which covered the dwarfs entire body then since the clothing won't burn the dwarf that it covers won't set on fire.

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 11:42:47 am »

I think that we should forget about real world physics for heat transference for a moment and remember that Dwarf Fortress operates by its own set of rules. Dragon Leather doesn't have a high fixed temperature, but instead has an absurdly high temperature required to set it on fire or boil it. I'm thinking that if you had a hypothetical suit of fireproof clothes which covered the dwarfs entire body then since the clothing won't burn the dwarf that it covers won't set on fire.

In the words of Kissinger: "This is not the productive area of discussion."

Currently, there are key parts of the dwarf (blood bearing) exposed even in full suits of armour: the mouth, cheeks, fingers, toes, ears and possibly nose. They would still die.

But, with regards to a heat proof suit keeping one safe from fire that can be very effective (IRL), it just depends on how the material is proofed against heat. Simply a material that needs a very high heat in order to melt it is not enough (but is necessary) the material must have a very high specific heat capacity also. But practical materials that defend from flames are rather more complex in their workings: Sod archived sources.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 11:50:06 am »

Well, if you don't want to have to worry about dwarfs dieing from transporting extreme heat materials and you already have a game genned...

add
[FIREIMMUNE] and [FIXED_TEMP:(whatever)]

I could be wrong on the exact tags...

Anyways, wait for the next migrant wave and rename profession or nickname them to something you know they are fire proof.
At least that's all I recall changing when I made my fire and ice pets and then my fire and ice dwarfs, meanwhile all near normal dwarfs.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!