Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What am I missing? (Military Question)  (Read 843 times)

johnnyonoes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What am I missing? (Military Question)
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:22:54 pm »

I have played a few fortresses with the new 2010 version and I just can't seem to get my military working properly. I have an arsenal dwarf that doles out all the equipment properly, I am not seeing all the inventory issues that everyone is seeing. But what I have noticed that all my military dwarves are not training as they are supposed to. I always get about half doing their inactive training at the barracks. So I tried to force them to train through the schedule/alert system, but that got me into the "Leader is waiting to organize training" and the rest are stuck at "waiting for training". So I am going list out everything I have done in hopes someone can spot what I am doing wrong.

1. Arsenal Dwarf assigned and given absolutely no tasks (works great)
2. Uniforms set, all metal armor and battle axe (works very well, the arsenal dwarf upgrades my military whenever there is better gear available. Noticed him upgrading the iron weapons and armor to steel weapons and armor.)
3. Create the squad (no probs so far)
4. Create Schedule using active/training alert. Set to minimum of 3'ish every other month training and inactive.
5. Create a barracks room, setting it with a weapon rack in the middle of the room. Set training to the squad. (If alert is set to inactive. I get a few of them doing individual training, and this works great for the ones that actually train, but the rest are eternal noobs, even after setting their jobs to nothing.)
6. Set the alert to to active/training.

This is where it breaks. Leader gets stuck with organizing training, and the same guys that are normally doing their inactive training are stuck at "Waiting for training" The only way to unset them is to remove the training from the barracks, delete the squad and recreate them and never set a schedule. Once recreated, I reassign the training to the barracks and they go back to their inactive training. To double check to see if they are not during a training month I looked at the squad screen and saw that their order was set to "Training".

Now everything works great until I use the schedule and alert. Is there something I am missing here or is it just bugged? I'm pretty sure the fact that they don't drink/eat from their waterskin/backpacks is a bug, which is annoying when you want to station your guys somewhere for a fight. But just having them training is what I am hoping to accomplish here.

Thanks!

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What am I missing? (Military Question)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:56:22 pm »

Short answer: Military is extremely bugged.

Stealth upside: The "inactive training" is extremely effective at upping their skills.  In a season or two you'll have moderately skilled dwarves that, if well equipped, will be able to handle any ambushers without a scratch.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:41:19 pm »

Dont ever set their orders to training.  Many things can happen when you do, but one dwarf teaching skills to others is generally not one of them. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 01:07:50 am »

I am not sure if the activity changes from "organising" and "waiting" when they change to actually doing the demonstration.

Also, some people have had more luck eith assigning two overlapping barracks.

But "inactive" solo training is effective, I now have my first Spearlord, as well as a couple of legendary axe dwarves, and a legendary hammer dwarf, this way.

johnnyonoes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:28:07 am »

I guess what I am trying to go for is the fact that not all the members of a squad will train up. From a squad of 10, I have 4 axe lords and 6 noobs after years of training. I just wonder what is the deciding factor that allows a dwarf to train inactively, so then that way I would only soldier up a guy with that trait.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:13:34 pm »

Self control, or maybe focus controls individual training.  Be sure to disable all their labors to, otherwise they might go haul instead. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...