Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do floodgates work when attached to a lever?  (Read 827 times)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do floodgates work when attached to a lever?
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:21:38 am »

Do they just dissapear when not in use, or do they have to have a level above or below to sink into?

If I made an entrance hallway filled with levered floodgates and set them all off at once then what happens to the creatures inside?  Displaced?  If they have nowhere to go then do they turn to paste or does the floodgate just not go off?

I was thinking of an ultimate quarantine lever that would divide my fort into small parts should something go wrong so I can preserve as many of my dwarves as possible.  This obviously won't work if a half the floodgates won't go down when I tell them to.  And a crushing entrance for elves might be interesting as well.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: How do floodgates work when attached to a lever?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:24:37 am »

They just disappear when you open them, just like doors. Also, if any creature or item (water and magma are okay, pretty sure vermin are also okay) is occupying a floodgate's tile when it tries to close, it will be stuck open - in order to close it, you'll have to pull its lever twice (once to tell it to open again, and again to close it).

If you want a "gate" that crushes anything blocking its path, use a drawbridge.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:28:10 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:27:17 am »

Crushing entrances are made with raising (not retracting) bridges, not floodgates.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:38:09 am »

I know bridges make good atom smashers.  Pity it's not just displaced.  HAs anyone else made a workable shut down lever that will section off the fort without jamming up everywhere?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:59:41 am »

They just disappear when you open them, just like doors. Also, if any creature or item (water and magma are okay, pretty sure vermin are also okay) is occupying a floodgate's tile when it tries to close, it will be stuck open - in order to close it, you'll have to pull its lever twice (once to tell it to open again, and again to close it).

If you want a "gate" that crushes anything blocking its path, use a drawbridge.

I'm not sure if vermin are ok or not:  Remember Boatmurdered and tales of the butterfly corpse preventing the door from closing to keep the elephants out.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:09:51 am »

I know bridges make good atom smashers.  Pity it's not just displaced.  HAs anyone else made a workable shut down lever that will section off the fort without jamming up everywhere?
Oh you want a no-jamming, no-smashing method of sealing off your fortress? Retracting bridges are what you want then.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 02:57:33 pm »

More of a way to quarantine parts of the fortress from other parts.  A sort of "lock-every-door-and-seal-off-every-hallway" lever.  That way I could stop the spread of a disease, isolate invaders and stop a tantrumer from spiraling my fort into oblivion.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 03:31:16 pm »

Vermin on a floodgate will act as a "door" in 31.03 (and older). The floodgate will raise up, and then people will step on the vermin and continue to travel through. If the vermin is dumped, the floodgate will THEN act as an obstacle. Vermin do prevent a floodgate from being lowered until the vermin is removed.

In 28, a floodgate would "displace" whatever was on the floodgate, IIRC. It is doors that cannot be locked if they have anything on them.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 04:39:38 pm »

When I want to make quarantines I tend to make internal moats with retracting bridges over them, since they can be retracted when someone's in the same tile but don't squash them like drawbridges and aren't compromised by building destroyers.
I'd be worried about whether flying creatures would pass through, though.

The next time I build a major fort I was thinking of making an emergency quarantine system based on collapsing natural walls through the ceiling to block passages between sections. It could be reloaded using obsidian casting.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.