Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immobile Opponents  (Read 664 times)

DangerHelvetica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immobile Opponents
« on: May 05, 2010, 11:27:18 am »

I had a Goblin invasion begin a few months ago. They wandered a few squares from the edge of the map towards my fort, I built a wall in order to keep them from getting in one of the entrances, then, they all froze. All twelve of them, even the bat-rider. This isn't the first time something like this has happened, either. I had a forgotten beast invade that just stood in a corner of my exterior fortress for a few months, before I moved a dwarf over there to "loosen him up" (the dwarf died, naturally). I've tried opening up the entrances to my fort, but they still just sit there. I'm hesitant to just let my dwarves go about their business again unprotected, since I don't want any sort of catastrophe to occur. Are the goblins just waiting for me to make the first move, or is this some sort of pathfinding bug?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immobile Opponents
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:34:11 am »

Sieges stick around for a while.

Either wait it out, or go out after them.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immobile Opponents
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 01:47:25 pm »

If they can't path to a dwarf, they'll just sit tight.

Edit: Er, also, if the path is too long, sometimes they won't attack.  They seem to be able to tell (sometimes) when they won't be able to get in before you raise the drawbridge.  Not consistently, but I have seen it happen.